Pocket Pistol

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

LarryM

Marksman
Special Hen
Reaction score
I'm new at this site so don't know much of what has been in the discussion. I ordered a Beretta Bobcat 21a Inox a short time ago, when I got and first tried to get the safety on I couldn't move it and it took both thumbs to get the barrel to release, I called the factory and was told to take it back to the dealer and that after 2-3 hundred rounds it should work fine! After doing a lot of research on the internet I found several issues with the safety and the barrel release being very stiff. When I took the gun back to the dealer he said the tolerances are so close they have to be wore-in, and said to take the safety spring and plunger out and file the point round which I did and it did help but I've about warn my thumbs out just getting the gun loosened up a bit. I think Beretta guns are top quality but this is a little unacceptable, I don't think a person should have to waste 2-3 hundred rounds before the gun is operable! I'm not new with rifles and handguns I've hunted sense I was 12 years old, 80 now, probably spent more time hunting and fishing than most people. I still have not shot the pistol yet because of the cold nasty weather here but am hoping that things will be better with this handgun.

Thanks in advance for any reply on this subject,

LarryM
Washington State

Glock 'em down

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Hey Larry, welcome to OSA!

:greetings :greetings :greetings

My grandparents were from Port Orchard, Washington. I remember going to see them way back in the mid 70s. I was just a young boy, but I still remember the ferry ride across the Puget Sound to Seattle. I remember seeing a jellyfish for the very first time. And I remember digging for clams and making homemade, fresh clam chowder.

The Beretta model 21 is a dandy little pistol, but with it's double action design, there's really no need for that safety. If it's still stiff, leave it off. Trust me, you'll be fine without it.

As for the tip up barrel being hard to operate as well, try pressing down on the top of the barrel at the breach, then push the lever to lift it. It should operate smoothly.

And if you're gonna carry it in your pocket, be sure to get a pocket holster for it. Desantis makes a good one called the Nemesis.

Again, welcome aboard!

Aries

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Man, new and stiff is one thing but if you're expected to take it apart and file parts down to get it to work, that's ridiculous.

When you took it to the dealer, was he able to operate it at all? If so, I'm amazed that he didn't send it in for warranty repair. How is your hand strength?

Oh... and welcome to OSA!

xseler

These are not the firearms you're looking for.
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Howdy and welcome!!

I have a Beretta Tomcat (32acp) that is also 'stiff' to open. It is getting better than it was. I'll have to try GED's suggestion of pushing down on the breech end while pressing the lever to open.

Good luck!

thor447

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Welcome to OSA.

I've got a 21A Inox and my safety was stiff as well. I sat down one night to watch some TV and just worked the safety back and forth for about 45 minutes. Mine loosened up quite nicely. I never had an issue with the barrel tilt lever. Yours clearly had more of an issue than mine did.

LarryM

Marksman
Special Hen
Reaction score
Man, new and stiff is one thing but if you're expected to take it apart and file parts down to get it to work, that's ridiculous.

When you took it to the dealer, was he able to operate it at all? If so, I'm amazed that he didn't send it in for warranty repair. How is your hand strength?

Oh... and welcome to OSA!
Thanks for all of your replies, the dealer had a difficult time also, we tried another Beretta and it was also very hard to move. If anyone does take the safety apart be very careful, this spring and plunger are very small! You will have to pull the hammer back to get the safety to come out and if not covering with your other hand the spring and plunger will probably fly across the room and be lost! I've also warn my thumbs sore from working the actions, it is manageable now and am sure will get better with time and use.

LarryM

Marksman
Special Hen
Reaction score
Hey Larry, welcome to OSA!

:greetings :greetings :greetings

My grandparents were from Port Orchard, Washington. I remember going to see them way back in the mid 70s. I was just a young boy, but I still remember the ferry ride across the Puget Sound to Seattle. I remember seeing a jellyfish for the very first time. And I remember digging for clams and making homemade, fresh clam chowder.

The Beretta model 21 is a dandy little pistol, but with it's double action design, there's really no need for that safety. If it's still stiff, leave it off. Trust me, you'll be fine without it.

As for the tip up barrel being hard to operate as well, try pressing down on the top of the barrel at the breach, then push the lever to lift it. It should operate smoothly.

And if you're gonna carry it in your pocket, be sure to get a pocket holster for it. Desantis makes a good one called the Nemesis.

Again, welcome aboard!
Thanks Glock 'em down, I'm from south east WA, Pullman, WSU Cougar country, and I do have a Glock 19 that I love! Your maybe in law enforcement?

dlbleak

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Supporting Member
Special Hen Administrator Moderator Supporter
Reaction score
Great little guns. Mine doesn’t have much finish let from spending most of its life in a pocket. Mine won’t shoot bulk ammo though. I have to run CCI Stingers in it.
BTW, welcome to OSA!

Latest posts

Top Bottom