Point don't shoot bill

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ConstitutionCowboy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Suppose I'm a store clerk and someone comes in and points a gun at me to rob the store. What are the chances that I point a gun at the crook and he leaves? What are the chances he shoots me if I point a gun at him? It's either yes or no. Not one in a hundred, not one in ten, it's fifty-fifty. With or without that law, I shoot first. I can't - I won't - play the odds.

Woody

tomthebaker

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Suppose I'm a store clerk and someone comes in and points a gun at me to rob the store. What are the chances that I point a gun at the crook and he leaves? What are the chances he shoots me if I point a gun at him? It's either yes or no. Not one in a hundred, not one in ten, it's fifty-fifty. With or without that law, I shoot first. I can't - I won't - play the odds.

Woody
That's a completely different scenario than what the new law is designed for. Like arguing Apple's and oranges.

RugersGR8

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
tomthebaker:
Statistically, I've read that 99% of the time a gun is used to stop a crime, it is brandished, not shot. Sorry, this was a few years ago and I don't have the article.

I have heard these stories/articles as well. I have also heard that most of the time these episodes of brandishing are not reported because the brandisher doesn't want the hassle that would ensue with the press, law enforcement and possible litigation. I then Googled the item and found this:

https://www.ammoland.com/2014/02/reporting-self-defense-with-a-gun-to-law-enforcement/#axzz4fgEdZYGy
Reporting Self Defense with a Gun To Law Enforcement
Posted on February 5, 2014 by Ammoland

PS I would be in favor of the bill's passage.

Last edited:

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I have heard these stories/articles as well. I have also heard that most of the time these episodes of brandishing are not reported because the brandisher doesn't want the hassle that would ensue with the press, law enforcement and possible litigation. I then Googled the item and found this:

https://www.ammoland.com/2014/02/reporting-self-defense-with-a-gun-to-law-enforcement/#axzz4fgEdZYGy
Reporting Self Defense with a Gun To Law Enforcement
Posted on February 5, 2014 by Ammoland

PS I would be in favor of the bill's passage.
That's certainly some issues to consider. Your dammed if you do, and really dammed if you don't in some circumstances.

MrShooter

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
I think it will just increase brandishing. Not save any lives.

The guys carrying the Ruger SR9's in the Velcro unlce mikes holster practicing quick draws at local gunshots will be glad they can play sheriff when this law is approved.

ConstitutionCowboy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
That's a completely different scenario than what the new law is designed for. Like arguing Apple's and oranges.

Not really. If you point your gun to stop a crime and the perp doesn't stop, is the option available to shoot to stop the crime? Without the fear of being shot, the criminal will simply carry on the crime knowing you'll be in a heap of trouble if you do shoot him without being in fear of your life.

The police can't shoot unless they are in fear of their or someone else's life. They can't shoot to stop a crime.

Woody

MrShooter

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
The gun is the last ditch effort. This puts the gun up a notch in the use of force continuum.
Im all pro gun and **** no doubt. But they give ccw licenses away like drivers licenses...and have you seen all the jackoffs driving around town.

I can't think of one scenario where this is useful. If you're gonna pull your gun to stop a threat, do it if it's your last option. If you pull a gun to show a dominant force, you better hope you understand the ****ing law inside and out because the DA is about to tear that ass up.

This law was created by a Norman Democrat. That alone is enough to trash it

Last edited:

rawhide

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Yeah...

I just hope it doesn't make some folks think they can brandish a weapon if someone cuts them off in traffic or gets their parking space.

Otherwise, I'm absolutely for it.
Most people don't know what the law is now and are not likely to know when it changes. Threatening someone with a weapon will be just as illegal in the future as it is now but using a firearm in self defense without pulling a trigger cannot result in felony charges.

The gun is the last ditch effort. This puts the gun up a notch in the use of force continuum.
Im all pro gun and **** no doubt. But they give ccw licenses away like drivers licenses...and have you seen all the jackoffs driving around town.

I can't think of one scenario where this is useful. If you're gonna pull your gun to stop a threat, do it if it's your last option. If you pull a gun to show a dominant force, you better hope you understand the ****ing law inside and out because the DA is about to tear that ass up.

This law was created by a Norman Democrat. That alone is enough to trash it

A bit an overreaction. The bill is only intended to clean up language in existing law that as worded now could result in criminal charges when justifiably using a firearm in self defense.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Top Bottom