Point don't shoot bill

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SMS

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Great.
So, as you draw your weapon, the bad guy throws his hands up and yells "don't shoot!"

So you shoot him.

Makes perfect sense.

Makes no sense...because that is nothing close to what I said.

There is a world of difference, and reaction time, in between drawing to fire and drawing to point your gun and "see what happens next".

If you need to fire your gun, why on earth would you pause to wait and see what your attacker is going to do at the end of your draw stroke?

If by some miracle both you and your attacker have fast enough reactions times to OODA Loop the **** out of a smooth fast draw and fire sequence and he gives up before your trigger breaks then by all means you wouldn't/shouldn't go ahead and shoot....and no DA would charge you if you could reasonably articulate the need to inject deadly force up until you ceased the effort.

Nobody has ever been charged in such a situation as far as I know, and a law like this just adds to an already ridiculous patch work of self defense laws.

Last edited:

SMS

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Fictional scenario is fictional.

A slow "draw and fire one shot" time is around 1.5 seconds.

Human reaction time to visual stimuli is .25 seconds.

1.5 second draw/fire minus .5 second to clear holster minus .25 seconds for assailant to recognize it and reflexively raise hands (that might be holding a weapon) minus .25 seconds for you to realize he quit and interrupt the sequence leaves a whopping .5 seconds to spare.

We don't need yet another law for such an implausible scenario.

Untrained, from a bra holster in 1.5 seconds. Tell me when the attacker has a chance to quit the fight...

Last edited:

CHenry

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score

Dave70968

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Fictional scenario is fictional.

A slow "draw and fire one shot" time is around 1.5 seconds.

Human reaction time to visual stimuli is .25 seconds.

1.5 second draw/fire minus .5 second to clear holster minus .25 seconds for assailant to recognize it and reflexively raise hands (that might be holding a weapon) minus .25 seconds for you to realize he quit and interrupt the sequence leaves a whopping .5 seconds to spare.

We don't need yet another law for such an implausible scenario.

Untrained, from a bra holster in 1.5 seconds. Tell me when the attacker has a chance to quit the fight...

On the square range, with advance warning, with no pressure or stress....

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
On the square range, with advance warning, with no pressure or stress....
I keep telling my wife and MIL that when it comes, its going to be quick, violent and your not likely to going to be able to get to your gun in my wife's case, or the pepper spray in my MIL's case.
They walk out of malls like walking through a police station. I'm constantly reminding them to get their hands in their purses and have a hand on their gun/spray on their way to the vehicle.
I do love the Bra holster in the video though. If a lady got taken down in an attempt at kidnapping or robbery, the perp is not worried about touchy/feely, just the wallet or purse for the cash. Great hiding place, and the technique of firing from the hip accurately is something we practice. Marshal Dillon was an expert, but that technique is also a great street defense at extreme close range.

Dave70968

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
You're right, I forgot about the unaimed fire.

In other words, she had every possible advantage to shorten her time to fire. I can think of plenty of circumstances where there might be sufficient warning for the critter to surrender or retreat. The easiest is quite simple: two critters. Even if the first one can't surrender in time, the second will; are you going to shoot him too, to avoid "brandishing?"

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
You're right, I forgot about the unaimed fire.

In other words, she had every possible advantage to shorten her time to fire. I can think of plenty of circumstances where there might be sufficient warning for the critter to surrender or retreat. The easiest is quite simple: two critters. Even if the first one can't surrender in time, the second will; are you going to shoot him too, to avoid "brandishing?"
In the great words of somebody.......Kill em all and let God sort em out. Only one story to tell.
Edit: Possible scenario, Officer, I shot the first guy that had a gun and took me to the ground, and upon shooting the first person, the second advanced toward me so I shot him.
Best not be a shot in the back.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Top Bottom