polished my barrel on my xd.40 now wont cycle right

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jcb0501

Marksman
Special Hen
Reaction score
so i got bored and decided to mix things up...

i62.photobucket.com_albums_h116_FastJetta97_PC142305.jpg

the stupid scrapes on teh top of the barrel are part of why i wanted to mix it up.

i62.photobucket.com_albums_h116_FastJetta97_PC142308.jpg

i62.photobucket.com_albums_h116_FastJetta97_PC142309.jpg

i62.photobucket.com_albums_h116_FastJetta97_PC142313.jpg

polished the barrel end and spring end too.

i62.photobucket.com_albums_h116_FastJetta97_PC142314.jpg

that aside.... for some reason now its not cycling right and i cant fathom how polishing the barrel in anyway could affect the cycling, but im wondering if i somehow snagged something during disassembly or tweaked something... anyways anybody got a diagram of all the parts for an xd40 so i can go through it all and spec it out ?

JCW355

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Did you shoot it? Cycling by hand? Did you round off square edges? Did you mess with the spring? I might polish a guide rod but won't mess with a spring, you might weaken it with the heat from polishing, thats my thinking.

Jcb0501

Marksman
Special Hen
Reaction score
havent shot it yet only cycling by hand which befor polishing it cycling super smooth and nice by hand no matter how slow or fast you pulled the slide.

was super careful through the whole process and everything visually looks perfect. springs look perfect...

only thing i can think is maybe messed up the clip somehow and its not loading the rounds up into the slide and barrel right?

Fyrtwuck

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Try different magazines. I was with a guy at the range one day and his XD would shoot 2 rounds and jam. Changed magazines and everything was fine.

Shoot Summ

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
havent shot it yet only cycling by hand which befor polishing it cycling super smooth and nice by hand no matter how slow or fast you pulled the slide.

was super careful through the whole process and everything visually looks perfect. springs look perfect...

only thing i can think is maybe messed up the clip somehow and its not loading the rounds up into the slide and barrel right?

When you polished the barrel there was some amount of an abrasive used right? Did you get it clean, clean it again, and then clean it once more? What about lubrication?

What "clip" are you talking about, the magazine? Do you have rounds in the mag? You realize the system is designed to lock the slide back if the mag is empty? Are you riding the slide or pulling it back and letting it loose?

It shouldn't hurt a thing to polish the barrel, I did mine and have no issues, you have to watch though as polishing can remove material and there are areas where you don't want to remove much.

grwd

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
looks like that barrel is toast. Id need sharper pics of the top front of the barrel, like in your third pic, and in the 4th pic, it looks like you put a hellacious bevel on it. Hard to tell for sure because of the shine
I would not shoot it if I were you.

grwd

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
also, make sure the back of your recoil spring system is installed on the proper detent on the underside of the barrel. I suppose it could be that. Still, take the barrel out and snap some pics of the front edge of the barrel hood where it locks (hopefully!) into the front of the ejection port.

Shoot Summ

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
looks like that barrel is toast. Id need sharper pics of the top front of the barrel, like in your third pic, and in the 4th pic, it looks like you put a hellacious bevel on it. Hard to tell for sure because of the shine
I would not shoot it if I were you.

Good catch Mike, my XD barrel sits flush with the slide on top, front and back, looks like his is either polished off in the front, or the barrel is installed incorrectly and isn't locking up as it should.

Latest posts

Top Bottom