Polishing Feed ramp on my handguns

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

steelfingers

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Going to use a coned soft dremel pad on black and decker's version of a dremel.
What polish do you use? Dremel has a polish that came with the polish kit and I've see a few other chrome polishes suggested. I have some mothers mag and chrome polish that I could use.
Suggestions please.
Going to be my project tomorrow after the range. Going to clean them fully and then polish the ramps on 4 of my handguns.

swampratt

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
matters how rough the ramps are as to what you should use.
Cratex abrasives work well to remove fine scratches or do slow metal removal depending on which ones you get.

For polishing I use a bore mop or a nylon or brass cleaning brush and wrap paper towels around it and then add polishing compound.
I use the meguiars #3 mirror glaze for all my final polishing.
http://www.meguiars.com/en/professional/products/m0316-machine-glaze-16oz/

If you need more cut use #2 the fine cut cleaner.
http://www.meguiars.com/en/professional/products/m0216-fine-cut-cleaner-16-oz/

I use these to polish after sanding with 2000 grit sandpaper.
These will remove swirl marks and not leave any if you have a clean surface,,that is for automotive stuff.

I use the #2 and #3 on my dies and the expander mandrels. Will leave a finish like chrome.

Blakew

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
harbor tool and frieght has a good selection of polishing compounds. buy all three or 4 and work your way up from coarse to fine. remember the finish thats on the ramp prevents rust. polished metal is unfished metal just waiting to rust

steelfingers

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Having some FTF on one of my guns and have been told this is perfect for it. After researching it, sounds like a capitol idea so going to do a few of them.
Here's a link on a youtube vid.

Going to use the same setup with maybe mothers chrome polish

zghorner

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
green jewelers rouge can be bought at steves wholesale and is what I use. I would just do the gun that is having issues personally but I understand project fever all too well haha.

might make sure the gun jams on different magazines also as I would suspect a magazine issue before I would the feed ramp.

steelfingers

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Maybe I should hold off on this. Not trying to file down the ramp but just polish it. After reading more on several sites, it seems there is too much confusion about it and just about the same number swear for and against it.
The normal gun community......Ha!

steelfingers

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Not a big issue on any of them, but with a couple of crappy days coming up, looking for indoor projects and that means cleaning and/or tinkering with guns at some point.
May just breakdown and clean all my guns and mags. Have some mags that have not been given any attention in some time.

Latest posts

Top Bottom