Polishing Feed ramp on my handguns

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jwryan84

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Not a big issue on any of them, but with a couple of crappy days coming up, looking for indoor projects and that means cleaning and/or tinkering with guns at some point.
May just breakdown and clean all my guns and mags. Have some mags that have not been given any attention in some time.

Dry fire will help you out more than anything while stuck inside. As far as the FTF I'd recommend chooting the chit out of it and finding the mag that's causing the prob. You will either smooth out the ramp or find a mag that's an issue

beastep

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Some 1911's just wont feed certain hollow points. They werent around when it was invented. But a good polish could help for sure. Dont use anything very abrasive. Think toothpaste like for a good polish. Anything down anywhere near 150 or 80 will reshape the metal. Your not going to hurt your ramp with Flitz and a felt wheel on your dremmel.

steelfingers

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Some 1911's just wont feed certain hollow points. They werent around when it was invented. But a good polish could help for sure. Dont use anything very abrasive. Think toothpaste like for a good polish. Anything down anywhere near 150 or 80 will reshape the metal. Your not going to hurt your ramp with Flitz and a felt wheel on your dremmel.
I didn't think so but after reading all the negatives about trying it, I've backed off. It makes sense that you should polish (not grind) your ramp. From what I've seen, even some of the most expensive barrels, have some factory milling marks that would collect materials from the nose of the rounds.
Thought I might just try with a Q-Tip and polish and a few hours of piddling.

YukonGlocker

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Some of the early Kahr PM9 pistols were finicky with some rounds, and would benefit from polishing. I don't recall any other pistols I've had that needed it. Also, if you're having issues with hollow points, try any load using the Hornady XTP bullet--its shape can help. I wouldn't mess with it without reason.

druryj

In Remembrance / Dec 27 2021
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
curious why you are polishing them? having FTF?

My thoughts exactly. I would be curious as to how long it's been since you replaced a recoil spring or cleaned your mags maybe? Lots of damage has been done with a dremel. I'd make sure my springs are good and my mags are clean.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Latest posts

Top Bottom