Polishing? @swampratt

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mr.Glock

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
@swampratt Hey bud, remember the polishing job you did on that piece you cut off that big hunk of iron I gave you?

How did you get it so polished? I found my old Drywall Hammer which was 50 years or better when I used it as a Highschool sheet rocker and a few years after.

I want to make it shine like you did, I found photos that show them polished up and shiny like you did to that anvil piece you brought back to me.

How? Teach me! Any suggestions appreciated from anyone!

00C7C494-DF02-4FB8-BF91-26E2B2206DB5.jpegD85EB821-61BA-4337-8308-B728D98657C1.jpeg82E45656-D4A1-4C56-BFD4-2AD81D852570.jpeg

Last edited:

swampratt

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Would you believe it was just a drill with a stick on sanding pad.
Yep i keep it simple.

You can do it with a DA and or a drill or angle grinder but start with the finest sand paper you can find
and if it is too fine you can step up to coarser.
As you go the sandpaper will wear out more and more and make it finer still.

Most rough metal like leaf springs I have used cheap 80 grit and as it gets worn down it will almost polish like chrome.
220 grit will slick one up well and then 320 spinning fast and moving slow across the piece will make it pretty smooth also.

But when finished with the sandpaper I like to hit it with a buffer and Red Rouge.
Or a buffer and some Meguiars #2 fine cut cleaner or or #3 machine glaze.
If it has pits they will really stand out as pits when you make it look shiny like chrome.

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Would you believe it was just a drill with a stick on sanding pad.
Yep i keep it simple.

You can do it with a DA and or a drill or angle grinder but start with the finest sand paper you can find
and if it is too fine you can step up to coarser.
As you go the sandpaper will wear out more and more and make it finer still.

Most rough metal like leaf springs I have used cheap 80 grit and as it gets worn down it will almost polish like chrome.
220 grit will slick one up well and then 320 spinning fast and moving slow across the piece will make it pretty smooth also.

But when finished with the sandpaper I like to hit it with a buffer and Red Rouge.
Or a buffer and some Meguiars #2 fine cut cleaner or or #3 machine glaze.
If it has pits they will really stand out as pits when you make it look shiny like chrome.
Same as when I'm polishing rocks. Start out with 50 grit, and work up to a final finish on a 3000 grit wheel or higher.

69646163433__3AFA3B81-75D7-455F-AFB0-A30B6815813C.jpeg

Latest posts

Top Bottom