Polymer ARs

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MCVetSteve

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Does anyone have any experience with ARs that have polymer receivers, whether upper, lower, or both? Examples that come to mind are the Tennessee Arms polymer lowers, or the Windham Weaponry SRC complete carbine. I’m sure there are many fine companies that have simply slipped my mind. If you have one of these rifles and love it, or used to have one and hated it, please let me know. Heck, if you’ve ever just shot one at a range and it belonged to someone else, do let me know your impressions. Thank you guys, I appreciate all your future feedback.

Glock 'em down

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
A guy I work with has built about a dozen or so ARs with TA poly lowers. They are unbelievably lighter than their aluminum counterparts and more resistant to damage. He buys 'em 4 or 5 at a time at 80%. He loves 'em.

He told me about a video he saw where they put an aluminum lower in a vise, squeezed it at the mag well and it stayed squeezed. Then they squeezed a TA poly lower. It squeezed together like the aluminum lower did, but when they loosened the vise, the mag well of the poly lower opened back up to it's original shape.

amcardon

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
This thread reminded me I have 2 Tegra carbon fiber reinforced polymer lowers... I bought them in 2013 when aluminum lowers were ridiculously inflated. Figured I'd do a couple dedicated 22lr builds but put them in a box and forgot about them till now. Now what do I do with 'em?

Latest posts

Top Bottom