Ponds and lakes in "private" neighborhoods

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BoomerSoonerOUalways

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
So i just moved here a few months ago, been fishing a lot but without a boat I am stuck with shore fishing. Shore fishing these huge lakes here is not easy. I noticed a lot of ponds and smaller lakes are in communities that say "fishing for residents only" BUT the state the I just moved from had signs like that to discourage people from fishing it but the actual law as long as I am not on one of the homeowners property(an open side of the lake with no homes by it) then its basically public no matter what the owners of the development or homeowners in the area think or want, I cant find any Oklahoma laws on it clarification wise. When I look it up online most of them say "Oklahoma lake or resevoir #747732" or whatever number that one is, implying its public just surrounded by a housing development. Any clarification on this? Just because there is a sign up saying "fishing residents only" doesn't mean you own it and some HOA/people are control freaks but I would like clarification as I cant find any laws on this.

Obviously I am not going to walk through someones backyard or anything but there are some open sides to lakes that are barren of people but "fishing residents only" but no gates or fences.

BoomerSoonerOUalways

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
If you do not have permission, you are trespassing whether posted or not.
I am not talking about someones property I am talking about the ponds/lakes on HUNTX or google maps that say "oklahoma resevoir #2173327" etc I am not trying to sneak onto someones farm pond these are ponds that are supposedly "public" in neighborhoods but have signs that say "fishing for residents only" but the actual laws are different no matter what the people who own the houses near it say. I will respect whatever I just am curious.

rickm

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Usually in Okla there is 2 kinds of property, public and private, and what your talking about the private property doesnt stop at the water line it extends out into the water so whoever owns the house owns part of the lake also so no matter if there is a fence or not someone owns that property and lake unless it is posted public, the only exceptions is streams and creeks they are considered waterways and they are considered public but you have to stay in the water to use them.

BoomerSoonerOUalways

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
All property belongs to somebody. we pay for the upkeep on ponds and restocking in the neighborhood and don't like outsiders taking all the fish. We have about 8 ponds in Gilcrease Hills and HOA runs 540 per year. Thems valuable fish.
I have to keep telling myself and remember that we are too far east for all the public/BLM land we enjoy in more western states.

Perplexed

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
All property belongs to somebody. we pay for the upkeep on ponds and restocking in the neighborhood and don't like outsiders taking all the fish. We have about 8 ponds in Gilcrease Hills and HOA runs 540 per year. Thems valuable fish.

Is that why there are drive-by shootings in the areas surrounding that neighborhood - gangs dealing in schools of fish? Dime bags of crappie on street corners, and kilo bundles of walleye in back lots?

joegrizzy

Sharpshooter
Special Hen Banned
Reaction score
also note if you are fishing in the OKC metro area they try to stick you with that "close to home" pass or whatever they call it. it's another like $10 fee and just another way to play "gotcha!". never once been asked for it, but i don't fish out there all the regularly where it would be easy for *ALL THOSE COPS AT LAKE HEFNER* (ya ever notice.....just how many hang out at the lake watching the joggers all day?) to catch you.

that being said, there are all sorts of ponds on what appears to be company land, like around the UPS area on Portland near the river, and i see hobos dropping a line in those waters all the time.

if the HOBOS and ILLEGALS can fish there, I think i can fish there.

if the cops want to do something; then stop everyone else. seems to me like no one cares.

Latest posts

Top Bottom