Ponds and lakes in "private" neighborhoods

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Firpo

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
There is an old gent at church who freely handed out keys to his boat house on Ellsworth and until recently we were always welcome. Apparently some jackass went in there and left fish guts and garbage all over the place. His son has now changed the locks and I can’t say that I blame him one bit. Only takes one A Hole to ruin it for everyone.
If any of you that think everyone should be able to fish wherever they want I’d really like to hear your thoughts on this one. So you think he was wrong for what he did?

OKRuss

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
There is an old gent at church who freely handed out keys to his boat house on Ellsworth and until recently we were always welcome. Apparently some jackass went in there and left fish guts and garbage all over the place. His son has now changed the locks and I can’t say that I blame him one bit. Only takes one A Hole to ruin it for everyone.
If any of you that think everyone should be able to fish wherever they want I’d really like to hear your thoughts on this one. So you think he was wrong for what he did?
Not wrong in the least. It's HIS property to do with how he sees fit. We've got a nice pond on our property and it's all marked No Trespassing. If someone wants to fish, the North Canadian is right around the corner - knock yourself out but I'll contact F&G or ODWC or Sheriff if someone is caught fishing our pond without written permission. I didn't purchase the land for strangers to come and go as they please regardless if they pickup after themselves or not.

BUDMAN-BILL

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
We own two ponds on our property and the funny thing about it is that I don’t even own a fishing pole. The neighbor kids down the mile section come down all the time, I’m fine with it. We’ve had several people stop and ask to fish and thats ok with me as well. But the one thing we’ve never ever had a problem with was, someone just showing up without asking. But I’m not the type of guy to scream at them, shake a shotgun at. But I would have a word with them.

Foxfire5

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
First, never keep HOA bass. The chemicals from the yards run off there. Second, If it's stocked by the state, they have to offer you the ability to fish it for a fee. It's in the regulations. I'd be more than happy to show it to them while they try going all Karen on me. The fee can not exceed a certain amount and they have to let people in if the state stocks it.
Chemicals are a real concern any where near farmland.

KOPBET

Duck of Death
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Fishing was so much fun, when I had a boat. Ah, the memories. I can't be sure what was the most fun. Was it filling up the 20 gallon tank, and then running out of gas on the way back to the boat ramp (damn 85 horse Evinrude was a gas hog when skiing)? Was it stripping out one of the bolt holes for the water pump impeller housing in the lower unit? Was it the bearing buddies not holding the grease for more than a few trips to the lake? Was it the batteries running dead miles from the boat ramp? Was it the trolling motor shaft getting bent from the unseen stump below the water? Was it almost sinking it (twice) from forgetting to put the transom plug back in? Was it the bent props from hitting who knows what in these crappy lakes? About the only thing I caught was a sunburn. Damn it was fun...

Snattlerake

Conservitum Americum
Special Hen
Reaction score
A friend owns a pecan orchard, that borders a state road. he was driving by one day and saw several people across the fence picking up pecans. This is a commercial business! He stopped climbed the fence and ask these people who owns this pecan orchard? The guy said I do, and you are welcome to pick up pecans if you like! So my t friend pick up a few pecans, and left! A really nice guy!
Punctuation and grammar would vastly help in the comprehension of this paragraph.

Snattlerake

Conservitum Americum
Special Hen
Reaction score
Fishing was so much fun, when I had a boat. Ah, the memories. I can't be sure what was the most fun. Was it filling up the 20 gallon tank, and then running out of gas on the way back to the boat ramp (damn 85 horse Evinrude was a gas hog when skiing)? Was it stripping out one of the bolt holes for the water pump impeller housing in the lower unit? Was it the bearing buddies not holding the grease for more than a few trips to the lake? Was it the batteries running dead miles from the boat ramp? Was it the trolling motor shaft getting bent from the unseen stump below the water? Was it almost sinking it (twice) from forgetting to put the transom plug back in? Was it the bent props from hitting who knows what in these crappy lakes? About the only thing I caught was a sunburn. Damn it was fun...
It sounds like you experienced the two best days of boat ownership. The day you bought it and the day you sold it.

Bocephus123

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
So, there you have it. Humanity in a nutshell just by asking one question about where to fish.

Answer 1
Obey the law.

Answer 2
Disobey the law because a lot of people already do so and the cops are too busy or don't care, or nobody cares, or you might get away with it even though it is illegal.

View attachment 303636
More Beer

Latest posts

Top Bottom