Ponds and lakes in "private" neighborhoods

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Woodman 59

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
So i just moved here a few months ago, been fishing a lot but without a boat I am stuck with shore fishing. Shore fishing these huge lakes here is not easy. I noticed a lot of ponds and smaller lakes are in communities that say "fishing for residents only" BUT the state the I just moved from had signs like that to discourage people from fishing it but the actual law as long as I am not on one of the homeowners property(an open side of the lake with no homes by it) then its basically public no matter what the owners of the development or homeowners in the area think or want, I cant find any Oklahoma laws on it clarification wise. When I look it up online most of them say "Oklahoma lake or resevoir #747732" or whatever number that one is, implying its public just surrounded by a housing development. Any clarification on this? Just because there is a sign up saying "fishing residents only" doesn't mean you own it and some HOA/people are control freaks but I would like clarification as I cant find any laws on this.

Obviously I am not going to walk through someones backyard or anything but there are some open sides to lakes that are barren of people but "fishing residents only" but no gates or fences.
Not a joke, you can get a ticket for fishing without a lic. I had the owner's permission but got a ticket from a game warden. That was a high-priced bass.

joegrizzy

Sharpshooter
Special Hen Banned
Reaction score
“No Habla Ingles!”
heck, worse than just fishing anywhere and everywhere, they use nets like ol' Hey soos.

and they ain't just pulling out shad either. i've seen 'em take big ass grass carp, bass, tons of crappie and bluegill, all from a cast net.

can't say i blame 'em, but in just a few summers of kayaking, walking, fishing i've seen all sorts of laws broken and it blows my mind people are like "but would i get in trouble?!"

i mean don't get me wrong, YOU PROBABLY WOULD AND WILL. but dang, i see lots of people doing lots of crazy things....and i'm pretty sure it's illegal for them to *even be here*. kinda makes me certainly not give a rat's ass and REALLY resent anyone who tries to tell me i can't do something when they turn a blind eye to others. but that's life i guess. shoulda fought that war in mexico instead middle east, whaddya gonna do.

Raido Free America

Radio Free America
Special Hen
Reaction score
So i just moved here a few months ago, been fishing a lot but without a boat I am stuck with shore fishing. Shore fishing these huge lakes here is not easy. I noticed a lot of ponds and smaller lakes are in communities that say "fishing for residents only" BUT the state the I just moved from had signs like that to discourage people from fishing it but the actual law as long as I am not on one of the homeowners property(an open side of the lake with no homes by it) then its basically public no matter what the owners of the development or homeowners in the area think or want, I cant find any Oklahoma laws on it clarification wise. When I look it up online most of them say "Oklahoma lake or resevoir #747732" or whatever number that one is, implying its public just surrounded by a housing development. Any clarification on this? Just because there is a sign up saying "fishing residents only" doesn't mean you own it and some HOA/people are control freaks but I would like clarification as I cant find any laws on this.

Obviously I am not going to walk through someones backyard or anything but there are some open sides to lakes that are barren of people but "fishing residents only" but no gates or fences.
Lakes, and ponds, in housing developments are owned by the devoloper, or a home owners assoation, and are PRIVATE PROPERTY! There are plenty of PUBLIC LAKES, rivers, etc. to fish in, without imposing yourself on private property, Buy the land, pay to have a pond built, then tell me if that is open to public or not?

sh00ter

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I've checked on this (as a homeowner who deals with outside fishermen on occasion)...the HOA must post a sign if they want residents to be able to have the police remove you if you refuse to leave. So basically, if it isn't posted, even a resident can't make you leave if you are not on THEIR specific property. However, if they were to contact the HOA president or the property management company, then you could still be made to leave if that person told the police they wanted you to leave (even if no sign).

So from my perspective, you could probably fish some of these but the best approach would be just to leave if anyone asks you (whether a sign is posted or not). Or if no sign, you could tell them unless they are the HOA president, you would like them to leave you alone, but that would probably escalate and get the cops called anyway. AND, depending on the responding officer, there is no guarantee the law will even be followed. If he/she sympathizes with you (or the other party), then the decision of the cop might trump the law regardless (unfortunately).

Probably best to stick to those that are less private and not directly behind someone's house verses those that are more associated with walking trails and not as easily claimed by a specific homeowner. There are plenty of neighborhoods with ponds like that, and also plenty of public parks with ponds too which eliminates the worry completely.

What kind of fisherman are you? Bass?

BoomerSoonerOUalways

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
yeah they pull the same thing for kayaks and canoes. state doesn't require human powered water craft to be tagged, but OKC does. you don't have to actually register it with the state (since like....i don't think you even can), but you just get an OKC pass essentially. not sure if stand up paddleboards require it as well, but as many as those as i see going down thru stinchcomb from overholser i would imagine the city wants to make SOMETHING on them.
Yeah i dont want to piss anyone off just to catch and release a bass but it sucks because the biggest bass in this area are in "private" neighborhood ponds! I will respect the signs of course but I still get tempted.

Latest posts

Top Bottom