Ponds and lakes in "private" neighborhoods

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

OHJEEZE

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I know! Go get a second and third job,
Buy an acreage, pay taxes and insurance
Build a a small lake and stock it,
Then put up a BIG sign free fishing
Then spend the rest of your life pickin up the trash and never having time to go fish.
Sounds reasonable, Don't it?
That is about how it is too.

My Dad bought a place that has a pond, maybe a acre in size.

My brother bought it from the estate when my Dad passed.

I remember some neighbors come and ask my brother if they could go fishing.

Being neighborly he said ok.

Before long we would find the styrofoam worm containers all over, then they would bypass my brothers house and go between the neighbors house so you could not see what they was carrying home, then the people was comming almost every night.......

Finally my brother got fed up and told them to leave, and dont come back!

Snattlerake

Conservitum Americum
Special Hen
Reaction score
^^^ This.

These lakes in developed housing additions are built (at considerable cost) for the enjoyment of the homeowners of the addition. The general public has no right to use them.
The funny thing is, I have NEVER seen anyone out enjoying their private pond. I have seen people on their porches enjoying the mosquito infested views they pay for but never on or near the pond fishing.

Firpo

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I’m blessed to have a standing invitation (“No need to call”) from one of the deacons at our little country church to fish his three cattle ponds and shoot/hunt whenever I like. He has several properties but this one is about 750 acres and it’s not 5 minutes from my house. I can certainly see how things can quickly get out of hand. I’ve mentioned this to a few people and they’re not one bit shy about asking me to bring them next time I go. I say “sure” but never would bring them, it’s not my place. I get a funny feelin’ that if I did they’d start showing up on their own and causing trouble. Here’s a pic of the Mrs holding a nice bass she caught and our church friend.
C4071459-F5C4-47AF-B456-2594513B9F2D.jpeg

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I have three ponds and some river front. I've seen what allowing people fish does. The trash and open gates left when they arrive or leave forced me to put a stop to that.
Ponds 5 acres or smaller require intense management to produce quality fish and keep the food chain intact so the fish can get bigger.
Buddy had a 2 acre pond that we managed for our kids to fish in. A 5-6 lb bass was common for the kids to catch and release as we removed the mid sized and smaller bass so the forage base of perch wasn't decimated.
Buddy left the country for a job in the North Sea. His BIL who we had taken out there to fish with his son, snuck in there and caught a stringer of our big bass, taking them home to eat. He posted the pic on fakebook so there was no doubt what happened.
It took us years of management for one person to ruin the pond in one day.

Foxfire5

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I have three ponds and some river front. I've seen what allowing people fish does. The trash and open gates left when they arrive or leave forced me to put a stop to that.
Ponds 5 acres or smaller require intense management to produce quality fish and keep the food chain intact so the fish can get bigger.
Buddy had a 2 acre pond that we managed for our kids to fish in. A 5-6 lb bass was common for the kids to catch and release as we removed the mid sized and smaller bass so the forage base of perch wasn't decimated.
Buddy left the country for a job in the North Sea. His BIL who we had taken out there to fish with his son, snuck in there and caught a stringer of our big bass, taking them home to eat. He posted the pic on fakebook so there was no doubt what happened.
It took us years of management for one person to ruin the pond in one day.
Hope they got sick and puked!

Ready_fire_aim

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
There are lots of small lakes scattered all over oklahoma where a guy can score some good bank fishing. You just might have to drive an hour or more.

The “close to home” fishing program others have mentioned is good place to look for metro area public fishing.

It’s a shame about not being able to fish some of the private ponds I know… especially when you NEVER see the residents actually fishing

Seadog

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
So, there you have it. Humanity in a nutshell just by asking one question about where to fish.

Answer 1
Obey the law.

Answer 2
Disobey the law because a lot of people already do so and the cops are too busy or don't care, or nobody cares, or you might get away with it even though it is illegal.

View attachment 303636
#2 sounds like what a doushe bag democrat would do. Openly admitting to trespass. Whaa whaa whaa somebody else is doing it so I should be able to.

Entitled scumbags. There should be a law saying you can blast trespassers with rock salt.

Latest posts

Top Bottom