Ponds and lakes in "private" neighborhoods

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
First, never keep HOA bass. The chemicals from the yards run off there. Second, If it's stocked by the state, they have to offer you the ability to fish it for a fee. It's in the regulations. I'd be more than happy to show it to them while they try going all Karen on me. The fee can not exceed a certain amount and they have to let people in if the state stocks it.
Actually, that’s not in the regulations.
You do not have to allow the public to fish a private pond/lake if the ODW stocks it.
The only stipulation with the state stocking the pond is that then the landowner and their family must now have a fishing license when fishing that pond and it gives the Game Warden implied consent to come on the property to check licenses. That’s it.
If a landowner stocks their own ponds they and their immediate family can fish without a license which is what I did.

Firpo

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score

rickm

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I know the state fish hatchery here told us that if they stock a pond then we have to allow public access to it but if we pay for the fish then we didnt or if we used any state funds to build the pond had to. But that was years ago and things could have changed over time.

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I can't find it in the regulations, so I'll concede that point. However, when I asked my wife what the statute on stocking ponds was she told me the same thing I said earlier. Shes the fisher in the family and that she would tell me the same thing makes me sure we both read that in title 29 at one time.
It's been urban legend for a long time.
From the ODW Web Page:

FARM POND FISH STOCKING PROGRAM​

The Department’s farm pond fish stocking program is designed to help owners of new or reclaimed farm ponds create a fishery by providing largemouth bass, channel catfish and bluegill to qualified pond owners. To receive fish from the Department a number of conditions must be met.
All ponds must be at least a half-acre in surface size and the pond’s owner must agree to allow law enforcement personnel to examine the pond prior to stocking and check licenses of those fishing at the pond. Additionally, no fish will be provided for private ponds which charge a fee for fishing, and no fish will be provided for ponds that have existing fish populations. All applicants to the program must have a current Oklahoma fishing license, even though they may otherwise be exempt. '
The Department offers a free brochure entitled How To Get Fish for Your Farm Pond.

Eligibility​

Any pond owner is eligible to apply if the pond is at least a half-acre in surface size and contains no existing fish populations. There can be no fee charged for fishing the pond and the owner must have a current fishing license.
https://wildlifedepartment.com/lands-and-minerals/pond-management/stocking-program

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I get the web page. I'm talking title 29, the actual regulations. I haven't lived here forever so I don't know about long time urban legends. But I know I read it. The regulations differ from what they put in the interpretive web pages and hunting/fishing guides on some things, so I take the web pages and guides as what they are, suggestions.
That is exactly right. The brochures we get listing the hunting and fishing regulations are not the Title 29 codified regulations and the front page of those brochures state that.
You won't find the requirement to allow access by the public to ponds stocked by the ODW in Title 29 regulations either.
It's been urban legend for so long that it's been ingrained in folk's minds that it's true.

Seadog

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Let me see if I understand your logic. If I buy a car, park it in front of my house and never drive it that somehow gives someone else the right to hop in and drive it whenever they want? Please explain to me how what you appear to be suggesting is any different.
Liberals seem to think they’re entitled to other peoples property.

jakeman

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
The land around the reservoir(s) are usually privately owned which means you have to trespass to gain access to the water.
Have one around here I fished for 20+years, when my buddy passed everyone lost that access. He didn’t mind people driving 100yds to the water at all, heck he even kept the road up. Now that he’s gone you have to trespass to get on the water that way. The new owner destroyed the road and placed tire eaters instead of allowing people to fish.

What a dick head.

People that won’t let their friends & neighbors fish and take their kids fishing should have a hard time getting into heaven.

Bunch a jerks.

And, I’m a land owner so all you indignant pricks spare me your indignation. Some people will take advantage and disrespect the land. Most don’t. Respectful sportsmen abound. We need to be building our sport not excluding people from it.

Latest posts

Top Bottom