pontoon added to the stock . Now launch issues.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

swampratt

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
No I do not it was a dirty car I purchased from puckets..
They could not find the keys during the auction but said it ran if they poured gas down the carb and lit it off the solenoid.
Well 200 bucks and it was mine I had to run new fuel line and install a gas tank.
Got a tank from pull-a-part and braised the holes shut that they poked into it.
Tank came from a lincoln and was just narrow enough to fit. but 6" wider than stock one.

Some industrial enamel white from crown paint for 15 bucks and I had a driver with shiny paint.
The headlights were factory original.. white paint on them FOMOCO is what it read.

R12 system that did not leak and would blow so hard it blew my son's ball cap off his head into the back seat.

352" engine and automatic.
Super smooth ride also.
Guy that got it brought his wife and we all went for a spin.. wife stated it is 10x smoother ride than her cadillac she just purchased.
And AC was much better also. HA! Take that new car.

I did install a fat sway bar on the front and made my own Nylatron end link bushings for it.
Cornered way better that way.. and still a smooth ride.
Van also came from Puckets auction for 400 bucks though. I spent way more on that than any vehicle i ever tweaked.

swampratt

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Get after it.
it is just metal.
That crown paint is pretty good and cheap also.
I think they are on 4th and pennsylvania in okc.
They have this midnight metallic blue that is awesome

FreeSpiritBalloon

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Sound like you would rather build another truck but couldn't you just extend the hitch on the boat trailer? Maybe one that slides, short for towing and long for launching?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

swampratt

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I have the truck.. just need to stick the trans and engine in it.
But the 57 chevy (car) has made a good truck for the past 2 years.

I did think about taking some square heavy tube that I purchased some time ago and making a longer receiver for my vehicle.
I got a 20 foot stick of it and made a bunch of normal sized ones and umbrella holder.
Made a hitch for my jacked up Geo metro from it also. It is 1/4" wall.

65ny

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
If you've ever seen a boat trailer with a loooooong tongue on it, you'd think twice about pulling it very far. There used to be an old dude that would launch his boat down at Arbuckle like that. He had extended his trailer tongue with what looked like 4" square tubing and that thing flexed and bounced all over the place.

swampratt

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I have built many trailers and You are correct. you can make them bouncy.
If I do make a receiver that is long It will be swapped into my hitch at the boat ramp prep area.
No way would I want to tow one down our wonderful roads with a flimsy long tongue.

This one also has car tires on it 14" on kind of wide chrome reverse looking rims.
Need the correct tire rims before I pull it anywhere.
Some good heavy sidewall trailer tires.
By the looks of it The fender is too close to the tire to put a very tall tire on it.. probably the short 60 series car tire is on it.
I will fix that fender clearance issue also.

swampratt

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I resprung the rear of the 57 chevy again. this time I used 2 of the longest factory leafs in the pack and 2 chevy truck leafs.
Man it is nice to have it sitting a tick higher in the rear than sitting lower.

The ride is smooth and I pulled the Pontoon home today with it.. only squatted the car about 2". very nice.
Time to clean it all up now.
I found ants living in it and stopped by Ace and got some Bengal (2% permethrin) spray in a can and killed them all before I got home.

Latest posts

Top Bottom