Portable generator advice?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

NationalMatch

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I need a portable generator for farm work. As in, temporary work lighting in buildings that don't have electricity. Etc.

Something light enough that I can transport it single handedly. Hint: my weightlifting sessions are more like stretching exercises with resistance. Dumbbell curls with 30 pound dumbbells. Etc. I'm not as young as I used to be.

thanks

commandcomm

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
+1 on the Honda 2200.

I have used one for years and never let me down. Weights about 45 pounds and has built in handle. It doesn’t use much gas either, so you don’t have to lug a bunch of gas with you.

Poke78

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
If you choose the Honda 2200i and find you need more watts, there is a kit to connect 2 of them to boost output to around 3.5kw. I’d also look into an LP gas conversion kit to make fuel management a bit easier.

jakeman

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
If you choose the Honda 2200i and find you need more watts, there is a kit to connect 2 of them to boost output to around 3.5kw. I’d also look into an LP gas conversion kit to make fuel management a bit easier.

This, buy the “i”. You can run them in parallel .

They’ll run all day on a couple gallons of gas, won’t burn up if you run them out of oil, and will start on the first pull.

Little generators = Honda

Big stuff 10,000+ = Generac

forindooruseonly

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
We use the little Honda generators on race and track days for tire warmers and stuff. They're quite, easy to move, provide power to their rating (unlike some others), and are very efficient. Very impressed with them, worth the money.

Perplexed

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I’d suggest you look at dual fuel generators. It’s very nice not to have to deal with keeping the gasoline from going bad during the off season. Just hook up a 20 lb tank of propane and go to town any time. The Champion 2000W and 2500W setups are a bit heavier, but for me, the ease of mind regarding the condition of the fuel (and being lazy!) is well worth the weight, and lower power output compared to gasoline. If you have a Costco membership, they often run specials on those during the year - I saved $50 over the cheapest deal I could find online.

Latest posts

Top Bottom