Portable generators

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Woodman 59

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
You want 10KW by your post but if you are running on backup are there some things you can do without to require a smaller generator to get by? If you stagger your loads startup sequence you might be surprized how much stuff you can actually use simultaneously. I have a Predator 3500 portable that I can run the deep freeze, fridge, and AC unit (heat pump) ONLY IF I start each one about 30 seconds apart. The startup on compressor type equipment is what draws the most power. Also, if your home is well insulated you can run the AC to cool it down, turn it off and then run the other items. Running a genny on gasoline is expensive too. I can get about 7 to 9 hours run time on 3 gallons in my Predator, not bad but after about 3 days of constant use it starts to add up. ONG if available would certainly be much cheaper and cleaner burning if you had that availble. 10KW??? Well, if you want to but you may not need that much power.
Did not think about staggering the start-up, I was going by the guide online. thanks for the info

Shadowrider

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
You'd be surprised at what you can run on a smaller generator. One of my neighbor's to my land in SE OK built a really nice 3 bedroom cabin. He uses wood heat and has a RV or dorm sized refrigerator in it. He runs totally LED lighting to include his quite large deck that overlooks his pond, he has a bunch of strip lighting out there plus more strip lighting outside around the cabin because when it's dark in those mountains, it's really dark! He runs it all on a Honda 1000i. I was kinda shocked at that but it's handles it fine.

I have a Honda 1000i too and it had no issues running my central heat fan and NG furnace during the outage during the last ice storm that knocked out power for about 9 days. I ran my big one (5500W Coleman) for my freezer and fridge during the day and shut it down at night but that little honda ran pretty much 24/7 during that period at basically an idle on "eco mode". You could barely hear it cycle when the heat kicked on.

My mom has a 14k Generac whole house system and it will run the whole house. Central AC, elec range and separate electric oven plus everything else. With it's smart switch, It's like power doesn't even go out. You might take a hard look at your load demand, with LED lighting and all newer modern appliances the current draw is a lot less than we used to need.

Foxfire5

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
No matter which generator you get, you have to maintain it, run it on a regular schedule, service it, etc. or pay someone else to do this, or it will be worthless! I have thought about doing the same, but I'm not sure it would actually be worth the money, and effort? We have lived here 44 years, and havn't been without poweer over three or four times, and they were only for a few hours! Even the big ice storm, all our relieves were without power for a week or more, but we are on Indian Electric Goop, out of Cleveland, and they seem to do a great job maintaining equipment, and trimming trees, have less outages!
Longest we have ever been without power was in WA State when high winds took down trees and power lines all over the wester part of the State. We had no power for three and a half weeks. Temps fell to minus 8 degrees. Thank goodness for our generator and transfer box! The tough part was taking care of the horses. We pastured them 1/4 mile up the road and had to bring them down a steep Icey country road to the barn. We had lots of grass hay and alfalfa so no worry's there. Dogs and mouser's all slept together on the porch under lots of blankets. Cow and calf in the barn with lots of hay. My wife worked at the WA State Patrol and Troopers came and brought her to work every day as she was a communications officer and worked 60 miles away in Tacoma, WA. Telephone and electrical wires and trees all over the roads Fond memories! Best part is we had over a two years supply of firewood from downed trees.

Last edited:

Dumpstick

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Got it narrowed down to wattage. Any input on Duramax, Champion at least duel fuel models?
I used a Champion gen for several years when we had a travel trailer. I converted it to ual fuel, but mostly ran it in propane.

Never had any problems with it. I changed oil regularly - probably more frequently than the manual recommended.

Keep a clean sparker in it, change the oil.

My FIL has an 8500 watt Champion hard-piped into his house, running on NG. Power went out for 10 days. He shut that gen down every other day to change oil, new sparker and clean the air filter every 4 days. It ran for 10 days straight other than that.

cowadle

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
you really should have a disconnect at the service entrance. if a neighbor or someone electrocutes a power employee and you have a questionable service connection things could get bad for your liability. if your interconnect is correct then all is well. i installed a switch that makes it impossible to backfeed into the utility or also fry my generator if the power comes back on. basically the switch is on for the utility then middle is off completely and down for on generator. makes it impossible to backfeed.

Latest posts

Top Bottom