Portable generators

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Woodman 59

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
If you get a generator that you cannot manual start it, I recommend having one of those lithium jump starters for you vehicle. You can then use it on your generator if the battery fails.
yes, sir, I have a jump box I use it all the time, I also have a DC to AC inverter from my trucken days. Makes a good short-term power supply.

OK Corgi Rancher

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Propane isn't always the best. It depends on one's perceived need. I'd say it's a good option but it does have downsides just like gasoline or NG. Just one disadvantage...the machine puts out less power while running on propane vs gasoline. The big advantage of propane is it's easy to store in large quantities and it lasts a long time.

Perplexed

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Propane isn't always the best. It depends on one's perceived need. I'd say it's a good option but it does have downsides just like gasoline or NG. Just one disadvantage...the machine puts out less power while running on propane vs gasoline. The big advantage of propane is it's easy to store in large quantities and it lasts a long time.

This, to me, far outweighs the disadvantage of reduced power output. I bought two 20-lb bottles of propane before the Big Freeze in February 2021, and I opened one of them just the other week to test the generator, with zero issues. Can’t do that with gasoline, and once I run the generator dry after using propane, I’m GTG. Can’t do that with gasoline, either. So worth it for the convenience!

Shadowrider

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Another advantage to propane or NG as a fuel is that you can double the runtime before an oil change. If you are in an extended outage you need to have oil and filter on hand in addition to fuel. I had to change my mom's during the polar vortex deep freeze because it hit 200 hours of runtime and I also had to change my portables' at my house even though I wasn't running them 24/7. It's also pretty normal for generators to burn a little oil in operation because they are working pretty hard, so take that into consideration too.

If I had NG service at my house I'd lean hard at tapping into the line. I know I was getting really tired of making a gas run everyday even though the station was right by my house on the corner (they had power).

Hack

Marksman
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Trying to get some info on a backup generator. I would like a dependable one but not break the bank. Thinking about 9000 to 11000 watt. I don't know if duel or try fuel would be best. Any input would be helpful
I came close to buying a 17,500 Generac that runs off gasoline. I decided not to when I found the 16 gallon tank lasts 10 hours on half load.

Fredkrueger100

Dream Master
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I have a champion generator. I paid $999 and it has been unbelievable. The reviews for it were as well. It’s 11,500 starting watts and runs at 9,200. I had an interlock switch installed on my breaker with a line to hook the generator up. It was $200. Now I can run almost everything in my house. It won’t run heat of course because that’s too much juice. But it runs everything else. I just don’t run the stove or dryer. I’m all electric.

Latest posts

Top Bottom