Possible longer gun season

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

retrieverman

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
After reading through the articles Okie4570 linked, I’m actually more convinced antler restrictions are a good option.

Another option I would support to appease the folks wanting more rifle season is to move the start of it to Dec 1 and give them the whole month.:thumb:

Okie4570

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Special Hen Moderator Moderator
Reaction score
I've been told that moving firearms away from Thanksgiving week won't happen, tradition. The responses on FB even want to start rifle earlier, or push MZL later..........okies want guns in the rut is what it boils down to when surveying the masses. Hope that never, ever happens. Having it during Thanksgiving week is too early even imo.

magna19

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Don't get me started on CWD. It's insane farmed cervids are still legal in states that have not gotten CWD in wild herds yet. Oklahoma will get CWD, and it will come from a farmed herd. It's a matter of when and not if. We will make a rule saying you can't bring a deer head or spine back from another state, but we won't just outlaw penned cervids which is where literally all CWD comes from. But hey, a hunter bringing a deer back home from another state isn't an industry. Farming deer and elk is.

What were we talking about? :friday:
I think your on to the correct reason CWD is an issue most anywhere.

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
That and I wish we had stats on poacher harvest. It's gotta be really high in some areas.

Maybe we could incentivise to close the doe gap by the 5-10% we lack. What about giving a preference point in the controlled hunt drawings for doe harvest? Maybe give 2 preference points for a holiday season doe harvest to increase participation.

I guess that would be tough to prevent cheating with e-check but maybe there's a way.

Or a voluntary system where you opt to get only 1 buck tag with a 3-4 point per side rule in exchange for a preference point.I would do that every year.

The saying way back when is that more deer were killed by poachers than by legal hunters.

Physical check or e-check won’t stop that.

I like the idea of shoot a doe, get an additional chance for a controlled hunt. I could get all over that, but it would have to be a physical check in, not an e-check. Too easy to enter 6 does when it didn’t happen.

Latest posts

Top Bottom