Possibly looking for a German Shepherd to adopt

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Annie

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
OP seems to have a fair amount of wants/needs for the German Shepard they want. I don't blame them. With this you may need to pay more to make sure you are getting a dog/puppies from a breeder or family that meets all your needs. If I have a specific temperament that I want in a specific dog I would gladly pay more for the "right dog". You used $1500 as a number. $100/year is not a lot of money to get the dog you want. Check these guys out.

In Sand Springs.
https://austerlitzshepherds.com/available-dogs/

I cannot recommend this breeder highly enough. She is a hands-on trainer who starts "working" her dogs before their eyes are even open and everything she does is geared towards her dogs going to loving, active homes like tR's would be. She ALWAYS has a waiting list on her litters but will sometimes have drop outs so it's not always a long wait for a puppy.

Every dog I've gotten has been from her -- Jackie was a retired ***** and shutzhund champ from Germany, Shadow was a rehomed family pet, as were Angel and Eagle. Biscuit came from her, too. I let him go live with Positive Discontent and his fam when I got sick. They were ALL adult dogs when I got them. They were ALL live wires (well trained live wires but live wires nonetheless lol) until they hit the 5-6 yo mark.

Nero will be my last GSD ... He is coming up on his 11th birthday. And Dawg will be my last pet as I have no family or friends I can count on to take any pet I might have if I become terminally ill or when I pass to my next life.

Good luck on your search tR.

Timmy59

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
What Annie stated in post 10 is true, for that reason I would look at a female as males stay goofier longer and females mature sooner.. Do not let this out to the female community though...:bolt:

Glock 40

Problem Solver
Special Hen
Reaction score
My wife and I have had GSDs before and they are a lot of work. It is worth it to spend the money on a good dog because one with medical issues can quickly surpass the cost of buying a good pup that is guaranteed to not have hip issues and other problems. They are also working dogs and need lots of activity. Years ago we had 2 pups at the same time prior to kids. One of them was always hurting himself. I told the vet it was nuts how much I was spending putting him back together all the time. He said dogs are like kids some are stupid longer than others but it takes a while for them to learn to not get themselves hurt. They are great dogs but if I was to get one for a family. I would want one that was a pup and suggested by a good breeder or one that was an adult with good temperament that a breeder was selling.

tRidiot

Perpetually dissatisfied
Special Hen
Reaction score
We are heading down to Tulsa now to meet with a breeder I contacted. This is a very reputable breeder (as far as I can tell), who is VERY concerned with his dogs' placement and the bloodlines, genetics and raising. He is interviewing US (lol) and we will see if our family is a good fit. Also, he offers a 2-year health guarantee, has all records and papers as well as extensive veterinarian checks on all his dogs. This is for a pair of females left from a litter. He is extremely proud of his bloodlines and his dogs' trainability.

So, while his cost is more than we wanted to pay to "rehome" someone's secondhand dog or certainly a non-pureblood, it is well within reason for a dog from good bloodlines from an established breeder with a health guarantee.

Or I think so, anyways. So, we're about to load up. Later, all. Thanks for the advice.

John6185

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I too like German Shepherds, they are good guard dogs and I hope I’m not offending anyone but I don’t like coward dogs that cower when they’re called. That really gets my goat.

Glock 40

Problem Solver
Special Hen
Reaction score
All the things you mentioned about the interview at first seems off putting. I remember years ago thinking "seriously I am trying to buy a dog and your going to interview me." Now I am more concerned with the animal and its well being for its whole life. Do these people care enough to make an investment in the animal. If they can't come up with a fee now, what happens if the animal needs medical attention next month. Lots of factors go into it that I never thought of till I was in the situation of re-homing some rescues. I seriously had a girl call me wanting an animal once but was going to have to try and come up with the money for the fee. It wasn't much just cost of shots as I recall.

I rescued a couple animals and re-homed them about a year and half ago. On one all I asked for was a re-homing fee to cover shots and vet visits to make sure it was healthy. The second was a very desirable animal. I put a much higher re-homing fee on it not to gouge people but to prevent someone thinking. Oh this is cool and buying it cheaply then not taking care of it. Both animals owners were interviewed basically by my family including my kids. We vetoed people for both animals, because we didn't think it was a good fit. The eventual new owner of the one animal still keeps in contact with me today on how it is doing and how happy they are to have it. In my opinion if I can't with a good conscious think the animal will have as good a life with the person that is going to adopt it as it would with my family I won't do it. Also even a small re-homing fee will weed out a lot of people.

Last edited:

montesa

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Blake711, that’s exactly how my thinking went when rehoming dogs I’ve found. I also didn’t want to put a lot of money in them just so someone else can take the dog for free and try collect a fee. Someone that didn’t really want the dog as a companion.

tRidiot, keep us posted. Can’t wait to see what you get!!

Perplexed

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Hey, I met you and Todd at the Tulsa Gun show about a year ago and you had all your pups with you. Stella took a liking to me. Have you still got her? How is she?

Good memory! I’m keeping Stella at Todd’s house for the time being, as she gets along famously with his Boxer. She doesn’t take a liking to just anyone ;)

Fyrtwuck

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Good memory! I’m keeping Stella at Todd’s house for the time being, as she gets along famously with his Boxer. She doesn’t take a liking to just anyone ;)

That’s what you said. She made her way through the others and jumped right into my arms. Dogs pick their owners. She was choosing me.

Latest posts

Top Bottom