Possum

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dorkus

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Put the trap in a large lawn and leaf bag.
Hook the bag to the exhaust pipe on a vehicle.
Fill bag with stinky exhaust and the animal will go to sleep forever.
I did that with a sick hamster once and put it back in the cage. Sadly Oreo died in the middle of the night of an unknown disease and the kids were sad. Yes, I was a horrible parent.

sh00ter

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I live in Norman. I have chickens and noticed a possum in my backyard tonight, snooping around my chicken pen.

Does anyone know what legal options I have? Shooting it isn’t an option in town. I have a live trap, but what to do with it then? I don’t want this thing eventually digging it’s way into my chicken pen.
You could probably get away with an airgun...a head shot with either a 10.5gr 177 or any 22cal pellet will work if you have enough power. Of course a trap and a drive to the country would be more humane, but I've dispatched rats, such in town. I would say you need at least 600FPS for 22cal and 800 for 177 if you are shopping around...22 probably better.

Oklahomabassin

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Sounds like a good reason to buy a bolt .22 rimfire and a suppressor. Of course you will have a fellow OSA'er come by and let you use his for now. Otherwise the oppossum will eat all of your chickens and have a family of oppossums move in while you wait for the slow AFT (JB spelling) to approve your stamp.

Camo

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I live in Norman. I have chickens and noticed a possum in my backyard tonight, snooping around my chicken pen.

Does anyone know what legal options I have? Shooting it isn’t an option in town. I have a live trap, but what to do with it then? I don’t want this thing eventually digging it’s way into my chicken pen.
CB’s. No louder than a pellet gun.

sh00ter

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
CB’s. No louder than a pellet gun.
I thought about that but still a lot more dangerous and not to mention if he got caught. Airguns legal in Norman as far as I know as long as the projectile stays in your yard. But yeah, CB would be better if you could get away with it...I think they do 550-600FPS but hit a lot harder due to heavier slug.

TeamTomlyn

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I cant imagine a world that a single 22 short will be heard much less sending out Norman's finest. You can always trap it and take it wherever the sooner nation allows you to shoot and dispatch it there. I'd take it to Blanchard for a second chance at life; I hear they are well liked around there ;)

sh00ter

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I cant imagine a world that a single 22 short will be heard much less sending out Norman's finest. You can always trap it and take it wherever the sooner nation allows you to shoot and dispatch it there. I'd take it to Blanchard for a second chance at life; I hear they are well liked around there ;)
Yeah it depends on where in Norman and how close the liberal neighbors are LOL.

They eat a LOT of ticks so I leave them alone.

Latest posts

Top Bottom