Post a song from your favorite Oklahoma artist, here’s one of mine

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

OHJEEZE

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Ok, here is a Okie. While I am not a real big fan of hers, this song with her singing it, is just so awesome! Sometimes (most) it is so powerful I have tears running down my face!

Even Momma Judd got teary eyed! 🙂

Vince Gill makes that guitar talk!

Last edited:

O4L

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Special Hen Moderator Moderator
Reaction score
Henson Cargill, let's go back a long time, to 1967. This was a huge hit and very controversial back in its day.

I've always liked that song and I remember when it was a hit although I was only seven and of course I didn't understand the meaning of it then.

I introduced it to a couple of my grown children a few years back and it made quite an impression on them.

I didn't realize that he was born in OKC.

GeneW

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Ok, just one more:

Here is a curve ball: Buck Owens and the Buckaroos. No, they're not born and raised in Oklahoma, so what is their connection?

Bud Mathis. Yeah, patriarch of the furniture guys. (oh yeah, that reminds me, I have family in california and it is sooooo weird to go out to visit and see......guess who, Rit Mathis doing Mathis Brothers TV Commercials in LA and Palm Springs. I've been in their Palm Springs CA store (actually in Indio), and I had to be dragged in kicking and screaming and moaning and b****ing about it) to look at furniture. They have another huuuuuuuge furniture store in Ontario CA. Sorry about that sideways detour.

Anyway, back in 1966, Buck Owens and Don Rich and the Buckaroos were very popular and Bud Mathis decided to syndicate a National TV show featuring Buck Owens, so he broke out his bank account and made a deal with Buck and Channel 4 here in OKC.

Buck would come to OKC 4 times a year and shoot a number of TV episodes, these were shot and produced at Channel 4, they'd premiere locally and be syndicated nationally. They did this for years. (give this a thought, 1966 had no internet, no streaming, not everybody owned a TV set, it was a much different time than today).

I kinda get a kick out of Bud Mathis's behavior on the show, he was really a funny guy and a heckuva businessman to pull this off.

Here is Episode 1, the Premier. There a bunch of them on Youtube, if you liked Buck and Don Rich and the Buckaroos watch some more of the videos.

O4L

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Special Hen Moderator Moderator
Reaction score
Ok, just one more:

Here is a curve ball: Buck Owens and the Buckaroos. No, they're not born and raised in Oklahoma, so what is their connection?

Bud Mathis. Yeah, patriarch of the furniture guys. (oh yeah, that reminds me, I have family in california and it is sooooo weird to go out to visit and see......guess who, Rit Mathis doing Mathis Brothers TV Commercials in LA and Palm Springs. I've been in their Palm Springs CA store (actually in Indio), and I had to be dragged in kicking and screaming and moaning and b****ing about it) to look at furniture. They have another huuuuuuuge furniture in Ontario CA. Sorry about that sideways detour.

Anyway, back in 1966, Buck Owens and Don Rich and the Buckaroos were very popular and Bud Mathis decided to syndicate a National TV show featuring Buck Owens, so he broke out his bank account and made a deal with Buck and Channel 4 here in OKC.

Buck would come to OKC 4 times a year and shoot a number of TV episodes, they'd premiere locally and be syndicated nationally. They did this for years. (give this a thought, 1966 had no internet, no streaming, not everybody owned a TV set, it was a much different time than today).

I kinda get a kick out of Bud Mathis's behavior on the show, he was really a funny guy and a heckuva businessman to pull this off.

Here is Episode 1, the Premier.

Interesting that you post this.

Heading to work today, the last song I heard on the radio was "Act Naturally".

It stuck in my head and I ended up watching several Buck Owens videos on YouTube while at work and even shared some with a coworker through email. Lol.

RickN

Eye Bleach Salesman
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
George was not an Okie but frankly I can not listen to many of the videos posted without thinking of this song.

OHJEEZE

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Ok, just one more:

Bud Mathis. Yeah, patriarch of the furniture guys. (oh yeah, that reminds me, I have family in california and it is sooooo weird to go out to visit and see......guess who, Rit Mathis doing Mathis Brothers TV Commercials in LA and Palm Springs. I've been in their Palm Springs CA store (actually in Indio), and I had to be dragged in kicking and screaming and moaning and b****ing about it) to look at furniture. They have another huuuuuuuge furniture store in Ontario CA. Sorry about that sideways detour.

Buck would come to OKC 4 times a year and shoot a number of TV episodes, these were shot and produced at Channel 4, they'd premiere locally and be syndicated nationally. They did this for years. (give this a thought, 1966 had no internet, no streaming, not everybody owned a TV set, it was a much different time than today).

Here is Episode 1, the Premier. There a bunch of them on Youtube, if you liked Buck and Don Rich and the Buckaroos watch some more of the videos.

Tiger by the tail!

Latest posts

Top Bottom