1. Welcome to Oklahoma Shooters Association! Join today, registration is easy!

You can register using your Google, Facebook, or Twitter account, just click here.

Post apocalypse locations

Discussion in 'Preppers' Corner' started by Tanis143, Jul 6, 2018.

1. Catt57

Catt57 Gill-Gun Guru

Supporter
    Rating
    100%
    You forgot the Walking Dead influence as well...

2. rc508pir

rc508pir Sharpshooter

Supporter
    Whether some one was influenced by the walking dead or not is irrelevant. Point is, maybe it made them realize they should be prepared for emergencies. I dont think some one is actually preparing for a zombie outbreak.

Seriously though, how many people are actually prepared to go a week in a winter ice storm without having to go to Walmart to get bread and milk? Every time there is a storm coming, Walmart's bread, water, and milk isles are cleared out

How many people are that are diabetics are ready to have the power off for a week and do without refrigerated Insulin? ect

kwaynem, Catt57 and Annie like this.
  3. Tanis143

Tanis143 Sharpshooter

Rating
    100%
    Zombies, no. Viral outbreak, plausible. WWIII/Nuclear war, plausible. Those are the two scenarios I see as possible, anything else is purely fiction, but makes for some great things to think about :D

4. xseler

xseler Sharpshooter

I would bet that after 3 months without power, the population that survived the 'event' would be halved. Many people have no idea on what it takes, or would be able to live without the modern conveniences. Times would revert to the Dark Ages where the 'rich' people would be those with knowledge and skills.

rc508pir and kwaynem like this.
  5. MacFromOK

MacFromOK Sharpshooter

Rating
    100%
    They're also a source of protein and fertilizer... :chop:

:drunk2:

Last edited: Jul 12, 2018
  6. Annie

Annie Sharpshooter

Rating
    100%
    I kinda prefer sticking their bodies on a stake as a warning. In case somebody else wants to try to get to know me.

7. MacFromOK

MacFromOK Sharpshooter

Rating
    100%
    Lol, Vlannie the impaler... :D

Annie likes this.
  8. dennishoddy

dennishoddy Sharpshooter

Rating
    100%
    Well, we made 9 days without electric power during an ice storm, and three more days with a generator after some friends got their power turned back on. Thank God it was winter. At night we would take the frozen stuff outside in trash bags, put in a big non insulated container, letting it get frozen hard again, and bringing it in before the sun came up, while the fireplace pretty much heated the house.
    Had it been summer, that scenario would have not worked. We have 25,000 gallons of water right out the back door for summer time, and a well. Always have a couple of 50lb containers of chlorine for the pool to sanitize water. One little pea sized chunk will sanitize many gallons.
    Food storage without refrigeration would be tough. Have to cold smoke or dry perishable proteins quickly. I could built a temp smokehouse over the fire pit in the backyard pretty easy to get the elk, deer and fish in the freezer smoked.
    Living in the country, we have traps, both live and leg hold to secure more protein. Plenty of ammo, etc.
    Yeah, I could make it a long time if need be. Not comfortable by non-disaster standards, but could make it.

rc508pir and kwaynem like this.
  9. Tanis143

Tanis143 Sharpshooter

Rating
    100%
    I wouldn't say it would go so far as the dark ages, but close to just post industrial. There are plenty of people with knowledge on solar power, water power, etc to have a few places with electricity. I don't see the current political structure staying the same. In a way it would be interesting to see what would happen, but then again I like me interwebs a wee bit too much to hope it happens (plus the rest of our modern world, but yeah, interwebs are important).

10. Foghorn

Foghorn Sharpshooter

Rating
    100%
    The zoo would be a good source of protein if you had a big enough cold smoker....

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using Tapatalk

Annie and kwaynem like this.