Post deleted

Status
Not open for further replies.

CSeverns

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
If you want your retirement plan to be in club fed... go for it. Your post alone would be proof you wanted to make money manufacturing and/or selling firearms, for profit, as a side hustle. Without an FFL... you should really read up on the laws and also how freaking easy AR's are to put together.
i didn’t mean to ruffle any feathers here. I don’t know thing one about manufacturing and selling firearms, but I do know that you can sell your own without an FFL. So does the state clarify that you cannot sell your own if it’s for a profit? You’ll have to excuse the confusion in my line of questions.

Early

Yippie Ki Yay
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
If your asking, probably not. If you're planning on taking off the shelf parts and assembling a rifle, most anyone can do that anyways. That's not "custom". Only company I really know of that does that, or used to do it and was successful is SOLGW. If your talking about true custom as in manufacturing, good luck. The cost of the machines alone is prohibitive, let alone having the skill or finding people to run them, especially in the current economic climate, many people aren't going to be big risk takers. Then the firearm's community is pretty weary of new comers anyways, your **** better be 100% on the get go or you'll be relegated to Anderson/High Point status, and itll be hard to get out of that reputation and Anderson is going to out manufacture you anyways. Even in bolt guns, in Oklahoma we have a few pretty well known high end guys that would be hard to compete with. Think the golden age of just working on the average joes guns are gone. With the internet and availabiltiy of tools now, most anyone can assemble their own gun with high or low quality parts. Hell 17 Design was doing pretty well and they sold. And thats just the business side. Federal/State laws, good luck navigating that one.

Aries

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
i didn’t mean to ruffle any feathers here. I don’t know thing one about manufacturing and selling firearms, but I do know that you can sell your own without an FFL. So does the state clarify that you cannot sell your own if it’s for a profit? You’ll have to excuse the confusion in my line of questions.
If you are "engaged in the business" of selling firearms, you need an FFL. I don't know of any objective definition of "engaged in the business", but if they think you're in the business of selling firearms, you could be prosecuted, and the penalties if convicted are pretty stiff.

No, selling your own personal guns, even if you sell them for more than you paid for them, does not necessarily constitute being "engaged in the business". But if you are buying a LOT of "personal" guns, and turning around and selling them (or assembling and selling), that could be a problem. There's a good bit of interpretation involved in determining if someone is "engaged in the business".

That's federal law. Off the top of my head, I can't think of any state laws that would be relevant (to the selling of firearms anyway, there are lots of state laws about operating a business). The feds require the FFL, not the state.

DISCLAIMER: Not a lawyer

El Pablo

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
It’s federal law. Yes you may sell your personal collection. You may not put together ars and sell them as a side hustle. You should really go read federal laws.

El Pablo

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
If you are "engaged in the business" of selling firearms, you need an FFL. I don't know of any objective definition of "engaged in the business", but if they think you're in the business of selling firearms, you could be prosecuted, and the penalties if convicted are pretty stiff.

No, selling your own personal guns, even if you sell them for more than you paid for them, does not necessarily constitute being "engaged in the business". But if you are buying a LOT of "personal" guns, and turning around and selling them (or assembling and selling), that could be a problem. There's a good bit of interpretation involved in determining if someone is "engaged in the business".

That's federal law. Off the top of my head, I can't think of any state laws that would be relevant (to the selling of firearms anyway, there are lots of state laws about operating a business). The feds require the FFL, not the state.

DISCLAIMER: Not a lawyer

When you post on the internet you want to build ars and sell them as a side hustle. That removes any ambiguity of engaging in a business…

JEVapa

Operators Operating
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Lol, I didn’t mean for anything to seem sketchy or like I’m trying to bait anyone into anything. Let me re-phrase: Within the parameters of all state and federal law and all of the associated licensing and fees, would it be worth it to get into?
OK. Well, I'd venture to say no it's not unless you decide to:
1. Make it your full time job and career and invest in your own company and get others to back you. -be prepared to go under.
2. You have a full time day job and do these as a legal small business and hire your kid or wife so's you don't detract from your day job. -when you go under, you'll still have your day job

CSeverns

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
OK. Well, I'd venture to say no it's not unless you decide to:
1. Make it your full time job and career and invest in your own company and get others to back you. -be prepared to go under.
2. You have a full time day job and do these as a legal small business and hire your kid or wife so's you don't detract from your day job. -when you go under, you'll still have your day job
Good info. I’ll take your word for it.

CSeverns

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
If your asking, probably not. If you're planning on taking off the shelf parts and assembling a rifle, most anyone can do that anyways. That's not "custom". Only company I really know of that does that, or used to do it and was successful is SOLGW. If your talking about true custom as in manufacturing, good luck. The cost of the machines alone is prohibitive, let alone having the skill or finding people to run them, especially in the current economic climate, many people aren't going to be big risk takers. Then the firearm's community is pretty weary of new comers anyways, your **** better be 100% on the get go or you'll be relegated to Anderson/High Point status, and itll be hard to get out of that reputation and Anderson is going to out manufacture you anyways. Even in bolt guns, in Oklahoma we have a few pretty well known high end guys that would be hard to compete with. Think the golden age of just working on the average joes guns are gone. With the internet and availabiltiy of tools now, most anyone can assemble their own gun with high or low quality parts. Hell 17 Design was doing pretty well and they sold. And thats just the business side. Federal/State laws, good luck navigating that one.
You’ve made that decision an easy one. Thank you for your honest input. And I didn’t even know 17 design sold out. Who bought them?

CSeverns

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
It’s federal law. Yes you may sell your personal collection. You may not put together ars and sell them as a side hustle. You should really go read federal laws.
Let’s completely forget that I even mentioned anything about “side-hustling.” Even if you build serialized guns and they’re registered to you, you cannot sell them? Even if you’re only selling just a few at a time? What if you claim that they’re personal? Who is to say they’re not? I’m just curious.

Status
Not open for further replies.