Powder choices

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cernstus

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I have been loading 9mm and .45 acp and am curious on what powders fellow loaders have found to be cleanest that you can load both with? So far the cleanest and dirtiest both come from winchester with 231 being cleanest and autocomp being dirtiest. Any suggestions?

Rayce

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I have not been reloading that long, but I have found that I do like the Bullseye powder. You just have to be careful on the 9mm, so that you dont get a hot load and over pressure. I also like power pistol. The most economical way is to buy in 8 lb keg.. If you got the money to spend.. These both seem to be very clean burning powders.. Which I will pay a little extra for clean...

cernstus

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I have loaded with bullseye and got pretty good results. It was around the time I was trying bluedot and unique. I couldn't remember which one was clean, I remember that blue dot seemed dirty for sure. I have never tried power pistol though, who makes it?

Shadowrider

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
all I load is lead $$$
I have often wondered about wst and wsf. I'll have to give em a try.
With WST you can find Winchester data for .45ACP. But you won't find any published (by Winchester) for your 9mm. My load is 4.4 grains with a 124 grain slug. You can start with AA #2 data and be very close.

edg8687

Marksman
Special Hen
Reaction score
Im rather new at this reloading thing as well, but my dad has been doing it for decades. He has always used WST in the .45acp and Power Pistol in the 9mm. We like to plink so being clean, light on the recoil, and light on the powder ($$$) was key. The loads we use are 4.7gr of Power Pistol with a 125gr LRN for the 9mm, and 4.7gr of WST with a 200gr LSWC. In my experience the Power Pistol runs clean and the WST though not perfect is a lot cleaner than some of the other powders we experimented with. Both meter consistently. If light loads arent your thing it may still be worth a try to scale up the loads to max or whatever give you the best accuracy. If memory serves me right Power Pistol is made by Alliant.

edg8687

Marksman
Special Hen
Reaction score
By the way, those loads cycle all of our 1911s and the 9mms cycle our Taurus PT99, Springer 1911 and our Sig P6/225s which have pretty stiff springs, no aftermarket springs.

cernstus

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
thanks for the heads up with the power pistol. I am loading 230 gr lead for the .45 and 147gr lead for the 9mm for my 12 year old son to shoot uspsa. Right now I'm running 2.8 gr of w231 under 147gr flat nose bevel base bullets. The xd tactical is stock inside except I got a tip from a pro shooter to throw in a 12lb recoil spring from my 1911 and that makes it run alot softer with those loads. They're goin about 800 fps best I can calculate.

Latest posts

Top Bottom