Powder choices

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Shadowrider

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
:thumbup3: Beat me to it! WST is a great powder. We have been very happy with it.

We have used AA and Hodgens HS-6 with jacketed bullets. Didn't care too much for Titegroup though.
Well hello there sweetheart, glad to see you back! And you know that it was you and GC that turned me on to this combination. One of the best things about WST is the smell! I love that smell, kinda like Hoppes #9. :thumb:

338Shooter

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I love my TiteGroup BB don't be hatin' on it too much!

I don't shoot for super accurate loads so I don't even test that. I make quiet bullets in 9mm and TG does me a world of good for that. My 230gr LRNs from J&K were very accurate over TiteGroup through my 1911 though. Better than any factory I've fired.

cernstus

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Ive read alot of people over the last year using clays and that its a pretty soft loading powder, how is it for mess? Dirty, moderate or clean? I have wanted to try it but Im in a bit of a rut with 231.

WhiteyMacD

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I love my TiteGroup BB don't be hatin' on it too much!

I don't shoot for super accurate loads so I don't even test that. I make quiet bullets in 9mm and TG does me a world of good for that. My 230gr LRNs from J&K were very accurate over TiteGroup through my 1911 though. Better than any factory I've fired.

In ~6 months someone is gonna need someone to share his subsonic 9mm load data. <evil grin>

338Shooter

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
In ~6 months someone is gonna need someone to share his subsonic 9mm load data. <evil grin>

Someone is also going to need to PM someone with details on what they are planning on buying.

*cough*3.4 grains of TG under a 147*cough*

Still playing around with 124grain bullets though. My AR ate up the 3.8 and 4 grain TG loads and they stayed subsonic out of it's 5.5" barrel, but the pistol was a little more finicky. I might get a 20# recoil spring to put in with my lighter loads. I love the Don's Guide Rod. It uses 1911 commander springs. Makes me happy.

The 124s didn't seem as quiet as the 147s though. More testing needs to be done. I need to buy some more bullets first.

Rod Snell

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
We shoot lead bullets from J&K and have not had this problem AT ALL. In fact, we shoot his bullets through stock Glock barrels all the time now. That said, we clean every gun we shoot every time we shoot it. Seems like the most I have run through my G34 at a time was about 600 rounds during a practice session. No complaints, no issues, only very slight leading ... Mitch's stuff is good to go.

I agree. I've been shooting lead bullets for plinking and bullseye for decades, and don't consider the bit of smoke and soot to be a problem. It cleans right off after each shooting sessiion.

However, there is a "trend" if you will of new reloaders who think something is wrong with their powder if they get a little smoke and soot from lead bullets. It is perfectly normal, and is associated with the bullet lube, which naturally is partially burned by firing. I have had several people show me their pistol and ask what was wrong that it was dirty, when it looked perfectly normal to me. After a couple hundred rounds downrange, I expect the gun to look like it has been fired.

cernstus

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
anybody ever load 9mm or .45 acp with IMR800X? Bought a pound a few months ago and never got around to loading with it (sportsmans warehouse going out of business sale). I found several loads for the 147gr fnbb lead bullet and for the 125 gr rn lead bullet. I also found .45 loads which are a bonus for me as those are the two I shoot.

Latest posts

Top Bottom