Powder coating lead

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Shinneryfarmer

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I have not had any experience powder coating and very little with lead bullets. Bought a 1k 38's at a gun show back in the Odummer days. Shot 50 to 60 rds in my revolver and upon cleaning that evening I could not even see the rifling in the barrel. Spent hrs trying to get the lead out. Then a old timer gave me a tip that helped tremendously. He said to shoot a cylinder of jacketed bullets at the end of your shooting session. Tried this and upon inspection before cleaning you could see the rifling and there was minimal leading. Made cleaning easy. Most of you probably know this but I didn't at the time so thought I would throw it out there.

cdschoonie

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I have not had any experience powder coating and very little with lead bullets. Bought a 1k 38's at a gun show back in the Odummer days. Shot 50 to 60 rds in my revolver and upon cleaning that evening I could not even see the rifling in the barrel. Spent hrs trying to get the lead out. Then a old timer gave me a tip that helped tremendously. He said to shoot a cylinder of jacketed bullets at the end of your shooting session. Tried this and upon inspection before cleaning you could see the rifling and there was minimal leading. Made cleaning easy. Most of you probably know this but I didn't at the time so thought I would throw it out there.
Heck no I sure have never heard it. I’m newer to reloading than most, but have been plinking and hunting for 40+ years. I would think to further help this procedure, you could shoot a couple jackets every 15-20 shots. Optimally would be for me to just stay clear of leads, but economically I wouldn’t be shooting as much. It would also be easier to find safe (beginner) level loads if I stuck factory jackets. Some of the lead I’ve bought, was done when I first started to get into reloading as a total rookie, where I just saw the bullets, with good prices, then jumped and bought them. They were far from having me research them first, availability of powders, safe loads, etc.. So now I am having to find what few loads I can, then guess (find a middle ground of a bullet lighter and the next size up) on the starting and max load points. You’d think these cast lead bullet companies, would make bullets more universally sized. At a minimum they should have load data for the bullets they sell. Oh well if nothing else, I’m learning a ton about the different bullet types, powder burn rates, etc..

Anyway I’m definitely going to be sure that mine are well lubed before loading, as well as closely monitoring any evidence of leading.

Thank you very much for posting, I’m gonna keep that filed away.

Aries

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I have heard that for years (shoot some jacketed bullets to clear out the leading), and in my mind it makes sense... there is some controversy, some will say it compresses lead into the pores and tiny crevices of the metal in the barrel.

I dunno, I'm not taking a position either way. Just saying it's not universally agreed that it's a good practice. Just from memory, it probably runs 80-20% in favor of it doesn't hurt anything, and will remove most of the lead. It probably is NOT a substitute for good cleaning, IMO though.

turkeyrun

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Lubed is fine IF you keep velocities low.

Powder Coating allows you to shoot higher velocities. Plus, PC willactually clean you barrel.

As stated above, many times, you must remove lube to powder coat.

I have done it, several times.

1. Work outside, well ventilated area
2. Use old pot or coffee can, whatever. Not usable for food.
3. Fill pot half full with clean water
4. Add 50-100 booklets
5. Boil 10-15 minutes
6. Skim lube floating on top of water
7. Dry, cool, inspect booklets for lube

Ready to powder coat

Oklahomabassin

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Lubed is fine IF you keep velocities low.

Powder Coating allows you to shoot higher velocities. Plus, PC willactually clean you barrel.

As stated above, many times, you must remove lube to powder coat.

I have done it, several times.

1. Work outside, well ventilated area
2. Use old pot or coffee can, whatever. Not usable for food.
3. Fill pot half full with clean water
4. Add 50-100 booklets
5. Boil 10-15 minutes
6. Skim lube floating on top of water
7. Dry, cool, inspect booklets for lube

Ready to powder coat
Good info.

Shadowrider

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Very few handgun calibers should have any problem at all with leading, some of the oddball screamers maybe. It's rifle calibers that get leading with cast bullets. Handguns just don't go fast enough to cause problems.

The problem is most guns made in the last 20+ years are actually setup for jacketed bullets, revolvers especially, but autos too with polygonal rifling and such. A cast lead bullet needs to be BIGGER than the barrel it gets shoved into in order to seal. Chamber throats aren't machined for this they are sized for jacketed. When's the last time you saw centerfire lead bullets for sale in a common for today caliber? That's why...

A coated lead bullet will run fine in a Glock barrel as far as leading goes but generally won't be as accurate. If you stuff a .357 dia bullet in it it may match a jacketed for accuracy. New barrels made today have generally shallower rifling than in days gone by. That's another why...

It takes some work to get all the stars to line up with lead bullets these days. Used to be you could just slug your barrel and use the right size bullet and then find your load. Now seems to require a gunsmith to work on the chamber.

cdschoonie

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Very few handgun calibers should have any problem at all with leading, some of the oddball screamers maybe. It's rifle calibers that get leading with cast bullets. Handguns just don't go fast enough to cause problems.

The problem is most guns made in the last 20+ years are actually setup for jacketed bullets, revolvers especially, but autos too with polygonal rifling and such. A cast lead bullet needs to be BIGGER than the barrel it gets shoved into in order to seal. Chamber throats aren't machined for this they are sized for jacketed. When's the last time you saw centerfire lead bullets for sale in a common for today caliber? That's why...

A coated lead bullet will run fine in a Glock barrel as far as leading goes but generally won't be as accurate. If you stuff a .357 dia bullet in it it may match a jacketed for accuracy. New barrels made today have generally shallower rifling than in days gone by. That's another why...

It takes some work to get all the stars to line up with lead bullets these days. Used to be you could just slug your barrel and use the right size bullet and then find your load. Now seems to require a gunsmith to work on the chamber.
I’m loading mostly for Marlin levers, 45-70 and 45 Colt. I’ll load some for 45 acp Springfield pistol.

turkeyrun

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Using PURE lead or soft alloys can cause leading, regardless of cartridge.
Using undersized bullets will cause leading problems, too.

I use powder coated bullets in about 95% of my centerfire shooting, including .30-30 and .30-06, with no problems. Loads up to 2600 fps. That is as hot as I've loaded, not that I had problems at higher velocity. The .30-06 was loaded with 120gr bullets, to mimic a mid-range .25-06 load.
Very mild recoil for grandson to shoot. Awesome load on deer.

Latest posts

Top Bottom