Powder coating lead

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cdschoonie

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I have bought some plain lead bullets, so I doing alot of research, I don’t want to chance leading my barrels up. I was thinking I’d try to powder coat them myself in a toaster oven. I have several calibers, weights, and types of rounds that are plain lead. One batch has gas checks. Can I still coat these? Do I need to remove the checks first, if so will they go back on over the coating?
As always any advice is helpful, thank you!

swampratt

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Yep sometimes .006" larger in diameter with the coating.
Harbor freight discontinued the Red and it worked very well.
I did get Eastwoods Ford Light Blue and it does work very well.
Harbor freight White is Horrible.
I do not use Black..some controversy there on abrasiveness of Black.
I have read one that used Black and has no issues after thousands of rounds.
Others spew that it is abrasive but I bet they have not used it and just relay what they read like i am doing here.

Do your research.
HF red and the Eastwood Blue is all i use now..I did mix HF white and Red to get a speckled bubble gum color and better coating than just white.

I place the coated bullets on parchment paper to keep them from sticking to the pan.
I shake and bake mine.

DRC458

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
As already said, you must remove all lube first, which can be a pain. Powder coat right over the gas check. I've done it and never had an issue. Just be sure to size afterwards. Yes, Harbor Freight red worked wonderfully, but it's been discontinued. I have bought several different Eastman colors and had good luck with most of them. I used to watch Eastwood closely for sales and picked up some nice powders for cheap. The Ford light blue is excellent! Like @swampratt I shake and bake in a toaster oven.

cdschoonie

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I read somewhere that if they are lubed you don’t need coating? It makes me think of factory lead rounds which aren’t coated. Is this an option, every one that I’ve bought have said they are ‘sized, lubed, ready to shoot’.

Latest posts

Top Bottom