Powder Measures?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BReeves

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
What powder measure are you using and why?

Discovered on my trial run this morning dippers get old real quick and now in the market for a powder measure to use with a Lee Turret. Not sure I want the Auto function of the Lee but couldn't really tell you why :anyone:

swampratt

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I love my LEE auto disc powder measure. Same one in the video below..It is very accurate and reliable.
I do not remove the 2 screws to remove the powder hopper to change the disc.

I take the spring off and remove 1 screw and the toggle mechanism ..That plastic powder hopper will only take so many screw removal and install sessions before you crack it.

Notice the powder hopper sits on the aluminum body.
I use Bullseye powder which is very thin and it can leak a bit if the clearance from the powder hopper to the disc is too large.

Little flakes of powder will be on the press.
I filed down the aluminum area that the Powder hopper sits on to allow much tighter fit between disc and hopper.
No powder leakage.
Super accurate.
Watch this video to which one I have.

I also have a newer one with an elastomer wiper I do not like it as much .. the one in the video is much more accurate for me.
I also have the dippers and I trickle into a lee dipper with another dipper then card the top off.

That has been the most accurate way for me to get those dippers filled.
Yes dipping takes much time.

I do not know how much of what powder you are using but those discs only go just so large and 45 colt holds quite a bit.
They sell a double stack kit ..I have not used it.

Know this as much as it sounds wrong.
Volume of powder is much more important than weight in the accuracy department.
Read about that and make your head spin.
Here is a start for you.
http://bulletin.accurateshooter.com/2017/03/the-great-debate-weight-vs-volume-in-powder-dispensing/

Ignored Member

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
Hornady lock n load is the best one I own. No powder spillage, easy adjustment, made of metal and very accurate.

I also have the Lee perfect powder measure and the Lee powder disk.
The perfect powder measure is accurate and easy to adjust. My complaints are that the hopper is rather small and it's plastic.
The powder disk kinda sucks. It's plastic, the adjustments are a pain and it spits powder all over the bench. And if the disks stick, the spring will eventually have enough force to unstick it and sling the disks over, spilling more powder.

Fyrtwuck

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I have an RCBS Chargemaster and the powder measure on my Dillon 650. If I want to try for any precision, I use the Chargemaster.

BReeves

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
After doing more research decided to go with the Lee Auto Drum for $40.00. It has mostly positive reviews and a really good bang for the buck. I do not do enough reloading to justify a $400.00 powder measure, actually hard for me to see how anyone working for a living could justify that cost much less those of us retired and on a fixed income.

Also ordered the riser and a 4 pack of extra drums, $66.00 total from Midway with free shipping.

Glock 40

Problem Solver
Special Hen
Reaction score
$400 is a starter kit to some folks. The big boys use V2 and V3 auto tricklers at 1k or above depending on options. There are some guys running 2 or more of these on SH.

https://www.autotrickler.com/autotrickler.html

Its pretty amazing how accurate they are, One guy makes one that will actually dispense X # of Kernels. That is insane precision. Of course if money is no object why not.

James Abram

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
$400 is a starter kit to some folks. The big boys use V2 and V3 auto tricklers at 1k or above depending on options. There are some guys running 2 or more of these on SH.

https://www.autotrickler.com/autotrickler.html

Its pretty amazing how accurate they are, One guy makes one that will actually dispense X # of Kernels. That is insane precision. Of course if money is no object why not.

$2K in Autotricklers is starter kit for some guys. I know dudes running dual Prometheus’ at $7000 each.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I use the Hornady auto load for pistol and plinking rifle rounds. It's amazingly accurate when metering charges. I back them up with an RCBS beam scale to verify.
If I'm loading precision rounds, its beam scale all the way.

turkeyrun

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
The RCBS powder measure, that came with the Rock Chucker kit, I bought in 1981. Added a RCBS powder trickle. I only use the trickler on rifle charges.

Also have the Dillon measure that came with the 550.

Have looked at the RCBS and Hornady autos, but can't justify the expense. Maybe some day.

Latest posts

Top Bottom