Powder storage Primer storage, recommendations from you experts out there

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Snattlerake

Conservitum Americum
Special Hen
Reaction score
How do you store powder properly? Up high on shelves where it's safe from little hands but not the heat from a fire or low down where heat will stay away for a few more minutes?

Are there any "safes" that vent the gasses produced?

Should you notify your local fire department you have a reloading area and what powders are stored there?

Even black powder?

MacFromOK

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
You should store it at my place, but only with proper reloading equipment and assorted calibers of brass & boolits...
106179-f2df27f61216813244236c542168907c.jpg

Okie4570

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Special Hen Moderator Moderator
Reaction score
How do you store powder properly? Up high on shelves where it's safe from little hands but not the heat from a fire or low down where heat will stay away for a few more minutes? Properly is relative lol. Mine sit in a wall cabinet in the garage above my reloading bench.

Are there any "safes" that vent the gasses produced? Not sure.

Should you notify your local fire department you have a reloading area and what powders are stored there? No need to do that, less dangerous than propane bottles and gas cans by far.

Even black powder? No need to.

Last edited:

Buzzdraw

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
National Fire Code will give some guidance if you want to be code legal. Thick walled wooden cabinet, etc. Avoid your gunsafe or any other thickwall metal container that cannot easily vent.

From a practical standpoint, for most users simply storing powder and primers indoors, in their original container, within a temperature controlled environment, will allow it a long life. Avoid high shelves as heat rises. Visually check your powder occasionally on the off chance it has become unstable. Over a few decades I've never lost even a pound of powder when stored this way.

Primers mostly the same. I go the extra step of placing them where something heavy cannot impact them to set them off. Never lost any primers either.

Latest posts

Top Bottom