Power Flashed at the house last night, now what?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SlugSlinger

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Now the electric oven is off like there is no power to it. Unless I turned the electric cooktop on, then the oven’s clock powers up. These are separate units.

The cooktop heat indicator light comes on, then goes off when I turn a burner on, but the oven clock comes on at the same time.

I checked the breaker and it feels like it may have some mechanical issues. As in if I flip it back and forth, occasionally it will not reset.

I asked the wife to watch the oven clock when I was resetting the breaker and the clock never came on.

Any ideas of what is going on with the oven and cooktop?

Edit: It’s an 18 year old house if that matters with the life span of the breakers.

Last edited:

turkeyrun

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Sounds like a bad transformer, at the power pole. You got a power surge.

Contact service provider.

Do you have a voltage meter? Check voltage at outlets.

Most likely a bad breaker, at least. But, could be more.

SlugSlinger

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
you probably have a short to ground? or problems at your common bus bar. i am not an electrician but i would get some help now!
I just checked my welder that the breaker is in the same panel as the oven/cooktop and it seems to be working fine. As well as my 220v lift.

SlugSlinger

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
If you are 3 phase it is a possibilty that you lost a leg. If everything else is good though, I would say the breaker may be bad
I wish I had 3 phase, but it’s only residential 2 phase. I’m going to pull the cover off the panel and check the ground and maybe replace the breaker.

SlugSlinger

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Sounds like a bad transformer, at the power pole. You got a power surge.

Contact service provider.

Do you have a voltage meter? Check voltage at outlets.

Most likely a bad breaker, at least. But, could be more.

Good idea about checking the voltage. They are both direct wired so that is going to be a little work getting to the wiring.

Latest posts

Top Bottom