Power Flashed at the house last night, now what?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SlugSlinger

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Had a similar thing happen at the new house. Is it by chance a Frigidaire brand? My gfi was tripped in the kitchen.
They are whirlpool products. The other items in the kitchen are working, coffee maker, frig, dishwasher.. Is the gfi usually tied into the 220 supply to the oven?

rickm

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
If i had to quess and it has a digital clock there is more than likely a circuit board and it has a short in it at some point but i have been wrong before hopefully i am this time and it is just something simple.

sklfco

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
CF7E1F18-AB85-4095-A8D5-7BFC3E0602F2.png

This won’t be a solution to your current problem. Dad was the electrician, I learned enough from him to treat it as most women treat spiders and snakes.........
In the picture I just hobbled outside and took, is a whole house surge suppressor. It protects everything past the pole. VVEC out of Collinsville sourced and installed it for me a couple years back. We still suffer from the same voltage issues to the pole as everyone else around us. Big difference is there has been zero appliance issues since it went on. Never did get the box so can’t give much beyond that.
Cost was about $150, they just tacked it into the monthly bill.

SlugSlinger

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
If i had to quess and it has a digital clock there is more than likely a circuit board and it has a short in it at some point but i have been wrong before hopefully i am this time and it is just something simple.
Fried circuit board is what I am afraid of.

turkeyrun

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Son called me a while back, said my circular had burnt up. He was a building a deck.
He got his jig saw to finish the part he was at. It burnt up, too.

Told him to unplug EVERYTHING. He turned in a light and bulb flashed.

I get there and he had 160v at the breakers.

Called power co, told them they had a problem. Idiot cops an attitude, not calling out service on weekend. I tell him who I work for (doing repair and calibration, for THEM) and I had my voltage recorder tracking the voltage fluctuations and they would receive a bill for appliances and tools.

Service truck arrived 20 minutes later and replaced the transformer. Voltage was at 180v, when they arrived.

Service guys verified voltage and wrote me a service statement.

They bought 2 new saws, a drill and a refrigerator.

TinkerTanker

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I'm not an electrician, but I have done my share of wiring. My guess would be a fried ground and/or reversed polarity causing it to only ground once you get a complete circuit through the stove. That's a dangerous situation that can result in YOU grounding it out at the wrong time by touching the wrong thing.
I'd pull the oven, as irritating as that is, and verify the wiring in the back. Voltage, ground (fried by the zap?), and that it's wired properly to the correct wires on the oven. It could have been working all this time with the wires backwards and until it got zapped you wouldn't notice.
Here's a video of a 110 plug wired improprely yet functioning fine.

SlugSlinger

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
This makes sense. Is pulling the oven and checking the wiring where you would start the diagnoses?
I flipped off the breaker and told the wife and daughter not to touch the oven or cooktop.

I'm not an electrician, but I have done my share of wiring. My guess would be a fried ground and/or reversed polarity causing it to only ground once you get a complete circuit through the stove. That's a dangerous situation that can result in YOU grounding it out at the wrong time by touching the wrong thing.
I'd pull the oven, as irritating as that is, and verify the wiring in the back. Voltage, ground (fried by the zap?), and that it's wired properly to the correct wires on the oven. It could have been working all this time with the wires backwards and until it got zapped you wouldn't notice.
Here's a video of a 110 plug wired improprely yet functioning fine.

Latest posts

Top Bottom