Power outage

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jason Freeland

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Why wouldn’t it be? Your generating your own electricity with your own generator and feeding it into your house. My FIL did this with the back feed going into the 220 outlet for the dryer. The dryer vent was on an outside wall and he’d feed the cord in through it.
OG&E says don't, but doesn't say anything about legality. I went ahead and had a transfer switch installed when I redid my electrical panel a few years back. Makes things so much easier.

yukonjack

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
OG&E says don't, but doesn't say anything about legality. I went ahead and had a transfer switch installed when I redid my electrical panel a few years back. Makes things so much easier.

I tried to talk my FIL into putting a transfer switch in but he was rather set in his ways. After he passed my MIL had a whole house Generac system installed.

Jason Freeland

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I tried to talk my FIL into putting a transfer switch in but he was rather set in his ways. After he passed my MIL had a whole house Generac system installed.
Would love to have one, but probably not in the cards at my current house. My setup is manual, but at least my new generator has electric start, I flat out could not get my old pull start gasoline one to run in 3 degree weather, last winter. The new propane/gasoline powered one is a definite step up.

p238shooter

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
For a very temporary short fix. Refrigerators will stay cold several hours and freezers will stay frozen for several more hours if not opened frequently. If you have what you think would be a fairly short power outage and have a standard portable generator you can run outside, just run a long extension cord and swap it through to plug in each one to run a half hour or so. Do use the heaviest cords you can find like #12 AWG and pay attention to the temp of the plugins just in case, but it will work. Yep a little work, but easy and safe for a very temporary outage. Refrigeration units will pull a large amount of current draw on start up but then a very small amount as it is running. JMO of what I have done. Hope we do not start having stuff like other states have had on a regular basis.

HFS

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
For a very temporary short fix. Refrigerators will stay cold several hours and freezers will stay frozen for several more hours if not opened frequently. If you have what you think would be a fairly short power outage and have a standard portable generator you can run outside, just run a long extension cord and swap it through to plug in each one to run a half hour or so. Do use the heaviest cords you can find like #12 AWG and pay attention to the temp of the plugins just in case, but it will work. Yep a little work, but easy and safe for a very temporary outage. Refrigeration units will pull a large amount of current draw on start up but then a very small amount as it is running. JMO of what I have done. Hope we do not start having stuff like other states have had on a regular basis.
Good advice to check the actual gauge of the wire. Some extension cords look heavy duty but it's thin wire with heavy insulation.
Scurvy knaves.

Latest posts

Top Bottom