Power outage

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SoonerP226

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
If you pull the meter, the utility supplying your power will have to come out to inspect and approve once the tamper lock is removed around here. Our meters are auto read electronically. When they are disconnected, the utility knows it.
The newer smart meters that OEC uses have "locks" on them, not just the old tamper-evident tags found on older meter bases. It doesn't look like it would be terribly difficult to defeat (I didn't study it closely, but it just looks like a special bolt on a metal ring that surrounds the meter "globe"), but it's not something most homeowners would be equipped to tackle--plus, it's a smart meter, so, as you note, OEC would know when you kill it and would be able to remotely disable it.

cowadle

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
that is correct. but pulling the meter is viable in an emergency to protect from backfeeding. there are much better alternatives but require a little thinking ahead. the best in my opinion is a three pole double throw switch installed below the meter. then just plug in the generator get it started and warmed up and throw the switch. if power comes back you can threow the switch and shut off the gen. let your breaker panel in the house do it's job and if you need to you can turn off circuits if you need. the breaker on the gen becomes the main breaker. don't forget to ground properly.

retrieverman

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I’m behind in this discussion and don’t know if it’s been mentioned, but OK electrical co-ops used to encourage people to use a Generlink on their meter. I’m not sure exactly “how” it works, but it automatically disconnects something when you plug your generator in to prevent backfeeding. My parents had one on their OK house and bought me one for my old house here in TX. I bought my OK house from my aunt and uncle, and I was surprised to find it doesn’t have one. I haven’t remedied that yet, but then again, I’m also not really up there enough to worry about it. :anyone:

Tanis143

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
that is correct. but pulling the meter is viable in an emergency to protect from backfeeding. there are much better alternatives but require a little thinking ahead. the best in my opinion is a three pole double throw switch installed below the meter. then just plug in the generator get it started and warmed up and throw the switch. if power comes back you can threow the switch and shut off the gen. let your breaker panel in the house do it's job and if you need to you can turn off circuits if you need. the breaker on the gen becomes the main breaker. don't forget to ground properly.

Actually, I believe pulling the meter without the power company's permission is illegal. As that is their property you have to either have them pull it or get permission and have a licensed electrician pull it. However, I've not found any law to support that. I do know PSO strictly forbids anyone other than themselves opening the meter box for any reason. I'm pretty sure most power companies are the same.

retrieverman

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Actually, I believe pulling the meter without the power company's permission is illegal. As that is their property you have to either have them pull it or get permission and have a licensed electrician pull it. However, I've not found any law to support that. I do know PSO strictly forbids anyone other than themselves opening the meter box for any reason. I'm pretty sure most power companies are the same.
Homeowner pulling a meter may be “illegal”, but every power company person I’ve ever dealt with has understood the situation if it’s done to wire in a generator in an “emergency”.

cowadle

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Homeowner pulling a meter may be “illegal”, but every power company person I’ve ever dealt with has understood the situation if it’s done to wire in a generator in an “emergency”.
exactly. probably depends on your relationship with the supply. i have never had a problem in an emergency but i now have the double throw switches installed and it is impossible to backfeed or ruin my genny from the power coming back on. i installed the switches myself and if you get one that matches the amperage of your generator the switch can be pretty cheap. it isn't automatic and has no frills but is absolutely safe.

KOPBET

Duck of Death
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I’m behind in this discussion and don’t know if it’s been mentioned, but OK electrical co-ops used to encourage people to use a Generlink on their meter. I’m not sure exactly “how” it works, but it automatically disconnects something when you plug your generator in to prevent backfeeding.

After the 2007 Icemageddon in Tulsa, I purchased a 5550W portable generator and a Generlink to put on the meter, and had to pay PSO $100 to install it. Still have both, but neither have ever been used in an emergency power fail situation since. Lucky I guess, but it is nice to know it's there, as it provides electric to the whole house. BTW, I don't have a master circuit breaker to disable the entire panel, so the Generlink provides a good option.

Latest posts

Top Bottom