Power transmission is not the largest threat/weakness regarding conversion to electric vehicles

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TerryMiller

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
If I understand correctly, diesel powered locomotives engines only generate electricity to power electric motors on the wheels? If true, why do they do it that way?

Because of the wide surface of the country that uses rail connections. Unlike European countries, the infrastructure needed to put electric lines for power for train engines would be a horrendous cost. They would have to have power to every mainline, every siding, and even to the rail yards in the cities themselves.

And yes, most train engines are diesel/electric devices. And, it may also be that it is easier for one engineer in the lead engine to control multiple engines placed throughout the length of the train than to try to control multiple electrical powered engines. (That last comment is pure speculation.)

cowadle

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
If I understand correctly, diesel powered locomotives engines only generate electricity to power electric motors on the wheels? If true, why do they do it that way?
pretty sure they use electric motors because they can apply full horsepower at any speed of the wheels. the power needed to get all the weight rolling is immense. i ran a diesel electric scraper "wabco" many years ago and the way the power was transfered to traction was real good. but really this has little to do with modern EV

Raido Free America

Radio Free America
Special Hen
Reaction score
I saw a video of a Tesla beating a Dodge Hell Cat, twice, in a drag race! That changed my opinion of EV's! I suspect which ever technology is actually best, will eventually win this contest! Nether will save the world, because the vast majoroty of the climate change deaster is SIMPLY A SCARE TACTIC, BY DEMOCRATIC POLITICIANS, TO CONTROL THE UNWASHED MASSES!! It used to be, LOSING SOCIAL SECURITY, REMEMBER?

Latest posts

Top Bottom