Power Washer advice before I buy one?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Perplexed

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Mine has two chambers for soap or liquid wax or whatever, valve to switch between the two.
It lost pressure after the first year. Thought the pump was toast, but got online and found out there are several little cartridges within the pump that control the pressure.
Called the pump MFG and got the cartridges sent to me at $30 bucks or so.
Full pressure now. Honda engine.

What's the make and model? I'd love to have such a creature.

NightShade

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I have to agree with getting an electric if you are going to use it once or twice a year. If you will use it more gas is great. The bigger the job the more pressure you will want. And if all you will do is wash your car a bucket and hose is all you need.

I worked with commercial washers for about two years before I graduated high school and going from them which had an auto switch between two soaps and a rinse function which were all at full pressure I have to say that everything I have worked with since just SUCKS. Even the ones at the car washes which can soap at pressure are crap.

But the biggest thing is taking care of it. A cheap one can last a long time if it's treated correctly, you abuse it and you may as well pull out your wallet for another one no matter how much you paid for it. Too bad you are looking for one now, last year I gave away a cheapo that I fixed and got for free.

dlbleak

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Supporting Member
Special Hen Administrator Moderator Supporter
Reaction score
tse1_mm_bing_net_th_de298c6b30fb6259e9f4767da3205d99._.jpg
this kind
tse3_mm_bing_net_th_55cc81b90eac3ddc90b9a47e3478fc9c._.jpg
not this kind

Tin Star Firearms

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I have had two gas washers in the past and now I use a $90 electric from Lowes. Plenty of power to wash cars, camper, boat, sidewalks and such. It is light enough to pickup and carry with one hand. I use it roughly every two weeks. When it dies, I will buy another one.

Andrew

Shoot Summ

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
this kind
tse3_mm_bing_net_th_55cc81b90eac3ddc90b9a47e3478fc9c._.jpg
not this kind

I actually have that one, or a Troybilt very similar. It's been a great machine for the money, I would buy it again without hesitation.

It's actually been a much better machine than the high dollar Honda powered unit I bought about 20 years ago that only lasted 2 years...

I'm one that never hesitates to spend money for good tools, I just don't see the value in dropping the coin on a high end PW unless you are using it commercially.

okierider

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Supporting Member
Special Hen Moderator Moderator Supporter
Reaction score
Most big box store power washers have a one hour duty cycle. If you dont follow that it burns the pump and motor up. Burned two up on this project I am on before the higher ups listened to me and went to Chappell and bought a heavy duty washer .

John6185

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I tried one of those power washers on my oil spotted, dirty, filthy garage floor and it didn't help. Now i'm thinking of going to rent a commercial floor buffer with a brush and see what happens. When i used the pressure washer on my front cement porch it gouged the cement but why the heck, it was borrowed form my son anyway.

Latest posts

Top Bottom