Power Washer advice before I buy one?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

okierider

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Supporting Member
Special Hen Moderator Moderator Supporter
Reaction score
Simple green will break up the grease, let it sit for a while ,scrub with a shop broom and rinse off . supposed to be bio degradable.

Parks 788

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Depend on how much you want to spend. The more you plan to use it the more money you should pay to buy a better quality unit. The best units your going to find are by Shark and Mi-T-M. The pump is most critical and is what will generally take a crap, especially on lower end units, thus making your PW junk. Do not leave water sitting in your pump for any length of time, especially if you have have highly mineralized water. Also, don't run the pump dry. Like most things, if you tKe care of it it will take care of you but more importantly, you get what you pay for.

internetscout

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I own a commercial pressure washing business. Water volume is the key to efficiency. We have 5.5 and 8GPM machines. We never run over 3500psi and often choke down to 2500 psi for residential concrete. The biggest difference in our rigs is heat. We have big diesel burners and run around 180 degrees.

Honda or Kohler for engines and General for pumps. Generals are cheap and easy to rebuild. Everything else might as well be replaced.

Shoot me a PM if you want any advice on soaps or anything. We use almost zero pressure for siding by the way.

sh00ter

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I went through this and did a lot of research and I ultimately decided on the top model greenworks electric washer (lowes I think). was $199 and is quieter, saved money and works perfect for what I needed it for...I used it to tackle overspray from acrylic fence stain off concrete, and to wash cars and small equipment/parts. Not as powerful as some gas ones, but lighter, smaller than some, came with lots of accessories and has other accessory support to improve capability. If I used a power washer all the time or commercially, I'd have gone with gas, but for the average home owner with no shop or land, I think it was perfect; and no winterizing or starting worries.

Oh and don't confuse the one I am talking about with the cheaper smaller electric units, those are mostly junk. This one is larger and more "like" a gas washer than those 60-100 dollar cheapies, I was upgrading from one of those due to leaks and not enough psi.

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I tried one of those power washers on my oil spotted, dirty, filthy garage floor and it didn't help. Now i'm thinking of going to rent a commercial floor buffer with a brush and see what happens. When i used the pressure washer on my front cement porch it gouged the cement but why the heck, it was borrowed form my son anyway.
Use a combo of solvent and cat litter on concrete oil stains. Brush it around for awhile, and let it sit until the solvent evaporates. Sweep up the rest and dispose of properly.
Test on a small spot to make sure it does what you want for a disclaimer.
We used that combo in the machine shop for hydraulic oil spills.

Latest posts

Top Bottom