PPU matchline ammo 7.62x54

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dumpstick

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Target #2 was a .308 and target #3 was pulled factory bullets that were .311 but only at the base of the bullet. They are also hollow base bullets. The 168s actually grouped a little better. Decisions, decisions. I think further testing is needed before I make up my mind but I think both grouped well even though they were different weights and diameters. I have been reading about it and most would do what you recommend as long as pressures do not go to high which they shouldn't with the charge I was shooting. Thanks for the tip.
Look at the top of your barrel/receiver, just ahead of the loading port, where all the rest of the markings are. Look for a 'D' mark.
That would show the rifle is compatible with the larger diameter Russian ammo. The Finn's wanted to make certain they could shoot captured ammo.
I don't trust calipers for accurate diameter measurements, a micrometer is better, but one uses what one has.
As a rule, these Mosins seem to prefer heavier projectiles, I'm looking for a 200gr mould for mine. If the 185s you have are the 308 dia, and hollow base, go with them.

OKBPS

Marksman
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Look at the top of your barrel/receiver, just ahead of the loading port, where all the rest of the markings are. Look for a 'D' mark.
That would show the rifle is compatible with the larger diameter Russian ammo. The Finn's wanted to make certain they could shoot captured ammo.
I don't trust calipers for accurate diameter measurements, a micrometer is better, but one uses what one has.
As a rule, these Mosins seem to prefer heavier projectiles, I'm looking for a 200gr mould for mine. If the 185s you have are the 308 dia, and hollow base, go with them.

It is a "D" barrel.

swampratt

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
When I have a big bore and want to shoot cast using a softer alloy to allow the bullet to bump up quicker has resulted in best accuracy.
Another thing is the old 30-30 bullets.. many of those had thinner jackets to get them to expand at slower velocities.
2400 powder in my 30-30 was not a hit I went to Varget or H4350 for cast loads.
But that was 1800-1900 fps.

I also found many groups had fliers.. some looked like shotgun patterns.
Traced that to neck thickness variation. I turned all necks to .010" and groups got really tight.

I found later on with cast loads in my other rifles neck turning to .012" resulted in better groups.
This is 50-100 yard shooting.
2400 I save for the 357 Magnum.
A very favorite cast bullet powder for me is Red Dot.
My 30-06 loves 11.5gr of the stuff and 170gr lee cast and gas checked bullet 1400fps.

I assume these loads you are working up are for 100 yard competition.
I may one day have a military weapon to play in that arena.

dlbleak

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Supporting Member
Special Hen Administrator Moderator Supporter
Reaction score
Correct SR, these are reduced loads for the military matches. I bought the above mentioned powders for reduced loads. Just found the 2400 load to work so well that I never explored the others.

dlbleak

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Supporting Member
Special Hen Administrator Moderator Supporter
Reaction score
Lyman#4 shows 5744 starting at 21.5 grains with the Lee C312-185, at 1611 fps from an M39. I think it goes to 30 grains? I've got some Buffalo Rifle, which is supposed to be the original Accurate 5744, but I haven't tried it yet. I know Ron Doggett is shooting it, or at least was.

I've also shot 4198, at 24 grains with the NOE 316299 clone, at 210+ grains weight.
Mostly I shoot the 2400 load because I have a bunch of it.

ETA: I've never used 4759
I wonder what Rons 5744 load is?

OKBPS

Marksman
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
When I have a big bore and want to shoot cast using a softer alloy to allow the bullet to bump up quicker has resulted in best accuracy.
Another thing is the old 30-30 bullets.. many of those had thinner jackets to get them to expand at slower velocities.
2400 powder in my 30-30 was not a hit I went to Varget or H4350 for cast loads.
But that was 1800-1900 fps.

I also found many groups had fliers.. some looked like shotgun patterns.
Traced that to neck thickness variation. I turned all necks to .010" and groups got really tight.

I found later on with cast loads in my other rifles neck turning to .012" resulted in better groups.
This is 50-100 yard shooting.
2400 I save for the 357 Magnum.
A very favorite cast bullet powder for me is Red Dot.
My 30-06 loves 11.5gr of the stuff and 170gr lee cast and gas checked bullet 1400fps.

I assume these loads you are working up are for 100 yard competition.
I may one day have a military weapon to play in that arena.

Yes. I have an M91 that I just bought and it will be at used at 100yds. I might keep working on the load at 50yds until I have it where I like it and then move to 100yds. That will help keep the jerk behind the trigger to a minimum. I shot three different loads at 50yds and was happy with the group just not necessarily the POI. That will be worked on once I determine which load I will use. I will not use the factory bullet with the powder charge I have chosen since I do not know what bullet it is and where to get it. I might look to see if there is something compatible out there. What I am getting here is a lot of good information to use down the road once I start to fine tune my group and get my POI figured out.

What did you think of the crown pic I posted?

Latest posts

Top Bottom