Pre - emergent for small lawn.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

O4L

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Special Hen Moderator Moderator
Reaction score
I have a small lawn that comes in every year with about 80% clover and dandelions.

I have wanted to do something about it for a while but I keep waiting too late each year.

I live in a mobile home park so I don't own the property and I don't want to spend a whole lot on it.

Is there a good product that wouldn't be too expensive to use in my situation?

Tanis143

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I've had good luck with Scotts Turf Builder Weed & Feed. It has knocked down the amount of clover and dandies by a good amount. Granted, because I don't keep up with it they come back. You can get W&F in a big bag if you have a spreader or if the lawn is small enough you can get it in a shaker bag.

Timmy59

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
There was some free dairy goats listed in farm & garden last night, they love clover and dandelions plus all the kids in the park would love ya for it.. Ya might even luck out and have some fresh goats milk for a spell..:hey3:

Gunbuffer

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
If you don’t need any current weeds killed, and truly just need a pre emergent, then Scott’s has a product in lowes called halts crabgrass and grassy weed preventer. A $18 bag would last you several years of early spring/Fall 2x yearly applications. If you have current weeds you want in addition to pre emergent protection get something that has both prodiamine (the pre) and 2,4 D.

Gunbuffer

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
And if
You have 80%, you’d
Prob do best to lay down the halts now and In the early summer lay down some yellow bag weed and feed

kroberts2131

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
For years I've had my lawn treated but it is just too expensive. I've started doing my own this year adter going to the local farmers coop . Just recently sprayed my yard with off brand Roundup(doesn't affect the dormant Bermuda) and will be applying pre emergent this weekend. I got the pre emergent and fertilizer for next month for around 65$. I won't be buying anything from Lowe's in the future due to how much cheaper it is to buy a Coop .

My yard is a half acre also so you would be much cheaper than what I was at. Can't attest to the results yet but I'm hooeful

swampratt

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Last few years I have used the Ortho Weed-B-Gone hooked to the water hose type for about 10 bucks.
Sons yard was nothing but clover.1 application and no more clover.
I did 2 of my neighbors yards with it and killed the Henbit and clover with 1 application.
Ground temps were in the 60's.
I have not tried it when it's this cold.

druryj

In Remembrance / Dec 27 2021
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
+1 on Scotts HALTS; but put it done as soon as this wind does down. Small bag will cover up to 5000 sq ft, but I lay it on heavy. Don't wait too long, like another week or so, or its gonna be too late to do any good against crabgrass. And then use the Ortho Weed B Gone like @swampratt says as needed throughout the year.

SlugSlinger

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Use glyphosate (generic name for Roundup) over the entire yard before the Bermuda starts to green (no green at all, check close to the ground under any thatch!). Except, do not use on cool season grasses like fescue. Be careful it will kill almost everything green. You can buy bigger quantities of chemicals at places like Stillwater Milling and they can point you to the correct species specific products.

I’ve used both pendimethalin and prodiamine for pre-emergents. Prodiamine last longer. I sprayed glyphosate and Prodiamine a couple weeks ago. I also sprayed the glyphosate on a warm day in January to help knock out the weeds that germinated in the fall. Those are tricky because they aren’t affected by spring applications of pre-emergent and you can’t see that they have germinated.

You can also get chemicals here:
https://www.domyown.com/herbicides-c-59_188.html

Having such a small yard, you’ll probably only need to buy one time as these quantities will last you years.

Last edited:

kroberts2131

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I've had good luck with Scotts Turf Builder Weed & Feed. It has knocked down the amount of clover and dandies by a good amount. Granted, because I don't keep up with it they come back. You can get W&F in a big bag if you have a spreader or if the lawn is small enough you can get it in a shaker bag.

I've been looking into this alot lately and have seen in a lot of places that weed and feed is not good until the lawn greens up and is established. Using too early causes a weak root system . I'm still learning the DIY part but have seen this in several places I've read up on .

Latest posts

Top Bottom