Pre - emergent for small lawn.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TwoForFlinching

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Msma will help you with that clover it will not hurt your Bermuda either .used it for a very long time with great success

MSMA is good stuff, will kill everything except Bermuda. All weeds, other grasses, trees, etc... It's somewhat hard to get ahold of, expensive, technically against the law to use on your lawn, but mum is the word. It's also super toxic to anything living including yourself. Wear your PPE and spray out of a hand can. Don't give yourself arsenic poisoning.

I can +1 for Scott's Halts. I put it down every 3 months year round. I'd spread now that to prevent spring weeds for the next 90 days, water it in with a hose-attachable 2-4 D + Clover herbicide. (purple label usually) Follow up with more halts same day three months from now year round.

crrcboatz

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
MSMA is good stuff, will kill everything except Bermuda. All weeds, other grasses, trees, etc... It's somewhat hard to get ahold of, expensive, technically against the law to use on your lawn, but mum is the word. It's also super toxic to anything living including yourself. Wear your PPE and spray out of a hand can. Don't give yourself arsenic poisoning.

I can +1 for Scott's Halts. I put it down every 3 months year round. I'd spread now that to prevent spring weeds for the next 90 days, water it in with a hose-attachable 2-4 D + Clover herbicide. (purple label usually) Follow up with more halts same day three months from now year round.
I've got several quart bottles of the 45% strength stuff I bought a few yrs ago at a hardware store going out of business. Had no idea it was no longer for sale! Why????

swampratt

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I actually like the crabgrass and do not try to kill it.
A yard full of crabgrass is a pretty good looking yard and it does not burn up and stays a nice green.
You do not need to fertilize it for some reason it will fill in all the bare burned up spots in the yard.

TwoForFlinching

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I've got several quart bottles of the 45% strength stuff I bought a few yrs ago at a hardware store going out of business. Had no idea it was no longer for sale! Why????

It's active ingredient is organic arsenic. People worried about runoff and unintentional poisonings. It's still available in bulk, without license, for use on golf courses though.

SoonerP226

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
One of the first things Trump did after taking office was to rescind the EPA's prohibition on MSMA. It has been back in the shelf at Atwood's for a couple of years now, and I'm pretty sure it's only approved for lawncare.

TwoForFlinching

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
It was never 'not for sale' or banned... It was banned for residential lawn use. It was still approved for commercial and golf course usage. I've seen the pricey Hot Shot stuff at Atwoods, but never MSMA. Good to know though. I'm down to my last three quarts.

SoonerP226

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
It was never 'not for sale' or banned... It was banned for residential lawn use. It was still approved for commercial and golf course usage. I've seen the pricey Hot Shot stuff at Atwoods, but never MSMA. Good to know though. I'm down to my last three quarts.
I'm just going by what I was told by a normally reliable source at my local Atwood's about it being back on the shelves (he said they were having a hard time keeping it on the shelves). It wasn't with the lawncare chemicals, though, it was with the agricultural chemicals (the stuff like glyphosate and 2-4-D in the 2.5-gal jugs), which is weird, as it's not approved for agricultural use. Which is a PITA, as I could really use it for getting rid of some #$&*ing sand burrs in my hay field.

Latest posts

Top Bottom