Pre - emergent for small lawn.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TwoForFlinching

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
It’s also worth realizing that fertilizing AND regular watering is also a weed prevention tactic. When Bermuda doesn’t have to compete w weeds for nutrients and resources it will beat weeds and choke em out of the lawn every time.

That and letting it grow. I get that bermuda looks good when mowed low, but it looks equally as good mowed tall, limiting sun-to-soil, essentially starving weeds that manage to germinate. I mow at four inches. Looks lush, feels amazing underfoot.

kirk1978

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I'm just going by what I was told by a normally reliable source at my local Atwood's about it being back on the shelves (he said they were having a hard time keeping it on the shelves). It wasn't with the lawncare chemicals, though, it was with the agricultural chemicals (the stuff like glyphosate and 2-4-D in the 2.5-gal jugs), which is weird, as it's not approved for agricultural use. Which is a PITA, as I could really use it for getting rid of some #$&*ing sand burrs in my hay field.

"oooppss I accidentally poured the wrong jug into the sprayer"

p238shooter

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Ditto on the mowing long. I had a little dog that had grass allergies, mowed short close around the house one summer. Still waiting for it to blend back in to choke out the weeds with what I had left longer further out.

TerryMiller

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
That and letting it grow. I get that bermuda looks good when mowed low, but it looks equally as good mowed tall, limiting sun-to-soil, essentially starving weeds that manage to germinate. I mow at four inches. Looks lush, feels amazing underfoot.

Yeah, I’m not a scalper either.

From what I was told, one wants tall grass (regardless of variety) in the winter so that the grass itself helps shade the ground and help keep it from drying out. Then, on the last mowing of the year, they said to then cut it short. Don't remember why though to cut is short.

TwoForFlinching

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
From what I was told, one wants tall grass (regardless of variety) in the winter so that the grass itself helps shade the ground and help keep it from drying out. Then, on the last mowing of the year, they said to then cut it short. Don't remember why though to cut is short.

I'll scalp it at the lowest setting first mow of the year, but just to get rid of as much dead brown grass as possible. Makes it quicker to full green without that peppered brown in it. You're spot on about tall grass conserving moisture too. But tons of people seem to water every day, which makes for a fragile lawn unless you've got really sandy soil. Deep and infrequent, just before sunrise as the dawn hits the sky, that's a keystone of a healthy lawn in any type of turf.

jmike314

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I actually like the crabgrass and do not try to kill it.
A yard full of crabgrass is a pretty good looking yard and it does not burn up and stays a nice green.
You do not need to fertilize it for some reason it will fill in all the bare burned up spots in the yard.

My grandfather’s standard reply when anyone ever asked him if he was going to do anything about all the crabgrass in his yard.....

“It’s green ain’t it.”

“Crying is for babies, little girls, and men who just had their ears ripped off.”
- Oobedoob Benubi

kroberts2131

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Got up this morning and spot sprayed the yard again and put down the pre emergent .

Attachments

• 20190309_184827.jpg
    20190309_184827.jpg
    78.5 KB · Views: 89

Latest posts

Top Bottom