Predator Control

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Timmy59

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
As Okie4570 knows, my place is pretty isolated, so I’m not all that worried about collateral damage (ie neighbor’s pets). There’s a guy hunting beside me that traps coyotes, but he’s not making a dent in the population. The cowboy at the feedlot has bragged to me about seeing 35 coyotes in a group on a cow carcass, and he said he’s not shooting them.
I’m not saying I would use a poison myself, but the sheer number of coyotes concerns me.:anyone:

35 yotes on a carcass, Sounds like a job for a fostech trigger, oooh sounds like fun..

Last edited:

Oklahomabassin

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Nope, not a bit. But if it kills coyotes, it will also kill dogs, bobcats or anything else that triggers it.

When I was a kid, Reader's Digest had an article about cyanide bombs for predator control. It opened with the story of a surveyor, who apparently triggered one thinking it was a property line stake, and died on the spot.

To each his own. :drunk2:
Dennis linked 1 research article. It has factual information.

Okie4570

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Special Hen Moderator Moderator
Reaction score
They're also indiscriminate. So it's kinda like hunting anything that moves 24/7.
:drunk2:

Anything that moves? Hardly. Anything that eats like a coyote, perhaps, and at that, I don't consider coon, opossum, bobcats and feral pets collateral damage. They're marked with signage, and flagging if somebody messes with one it's because they're on their own death wish or someone pulled the signs and flagging.

MacFromOK

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Dennis linked 1 research article. It has factual information.
Good for both of you. ;)

Hopefully we're all smart enough to realize anything that tugs on it by mouth (or hand) will get a shot of cyanide to the face, unless wearing a "full face shield" (as cited by Dennis's "factual information" article).

The M44 doesn't care what tugs on it. Including children.

As mentioned, to each his own. :drunk2:

Oklahomabassin

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Good for both of you. ;)

Hopefully we're all smart enough to realize anything that tugs on it by mouth (or hand) will get a shot of cyanide to the face, unless wearing a "full face shield" (as cited by Dennis's "factual information" article).

The M44 doesn't care what tugs on it. Including children.

As mentioned, to each his own. :drunk2:
We should probably outlaw guns too because you know anything that goes to tugging on the trigger... SMH.

ignerntbend

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Nope, not a bit. But if it kills coyotes, it will also kill dogs, bobcats or anything else that triggers it.

When I was a kid, Reader's Digest had an article about cyanide bombs for predator control. It opened with the story of a surveyor, who apparently triggered one thinking it was a property line stake, and died on the spot.

To each his own. :drunk2:
I haven't really read every link posted in the thread, but it's my understanding that cyanide bombs are required by law to be surrounded with signs designating them as such. Of course, dogs can't read, but most people can.
I guess I have mixed feelings, but all this stuff is happening on private land. I still understand your concerns, Mac.

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I haven't really read every link posted in the thread, but it's my understanding that cyanide bombs are required by law to be surrounded with signs designating them as such. Of course, dogs can't read, but most people can.
I guess I have mixed feelings, but all this stuff is happening on private land. I still understand your concerns, Mac.

According to my link:
Use-Restrictions Fifteen states, mostly in the west, authorize Wildlife Services to use M-44s in their state. As part of the pesticide label's Directions for Use, EPA requires 26 use-restrictions, which provide instructions for the application, storage, and disposal of M-44s; training and safety requirements; and necessary recordkeeping. Individual State pesticide regulatory agencies can require additional restrictions on the use of M-44s in their state. Furthermore, Wildlife Services notifies hospitals and poison control centers in areas where they are using M-44s. As part of our efforts to ensure the safe and responsible use of M-44s, Wildlife Services enhanced its guidelines for how employees should implement the EPA use-restrictions. Wildlife Services posts more durable and visible warning signs at main entrances or commonly used access points to areas where M-44s are placed, as well as within 15 feet of each device. Additionally, Wildlife Services certified applicators cannot place M-44s within 0.5 mile of occupied residences. A variance reducing that distance to 0.25 mile may be approved in instances where features of the property and landscape are such that potential for human or pet exposure to an M-44 is not probable. Wildlife Services notifies residents within 0.5 mile of M-44 locations.

MacFromOK

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
The Reader's Digest article mentioned the bomb in question had been apparently been forgotton for years. I'm sure the surveyor could read if the signs had remained. And they may not have even been required back then, if the bait units were unregulated. :anyone:

Latest posts

Top Bottom