Predator Control

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I think Mac suggested that something should be done about the feed lot dumping carcasses for the coyotes to feed on. There are uses for dead cattle, and they aren't too hard or expensive to haul off.
There may be an issue with dumping the carcasses. There are rendering companies that should have contact with them to come pick up the dead ones. One or two it's not worth it, but a feed lot that is licensed by the state and inspected by same should have to account for the dead cattle somehow. I'm sure the feedlot is claiming a loss on their IRS taxes at the end of the year. If so, there is the paper trail.

retrieverman

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Yes there are stil Govt trappers, the one up here is good, and he won't hesitate to bring in air craft if needed. They gunned down dozens one weekend not too far NW of me a couple of years ago in the hills and canyons. The kid that traps that area caught just as many that winter as he always does lol. I think the only thing that can control them is themselves and the food chain or lack of.
Well, unless the feedlot goes out of business, the food supply will remain plentiful, and for an early summer snack, there should be a good supply of fawns.:censored:

Okie4570

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Special Hen Moderator Moderator
Reaction score
Well, unless the feedlot goes out of business, the food supply will remain plentiful, and for an early summer snack, there should be a good supply of fawns.:censored:

I'm extremely low on fawns in comparison to most years. Very few coyotes and bobcat pics, and I've not seen any coyotes or bobcats from the stand this year.

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I'm extremely low on fawns in comparison to most years. Very few coyotes and bobcat pics, and I've not seen any coyotes or bobcats from the stand this year.
I have lots of bobcat pics on my 22 acre spot, but that is because the old barn has collapsed to the ground making a perfect habitat for them and the coons. Same cat, couple of coyote pics so far this season.
The coons are gone. 5 in the DP traps. I'm sure more will come to take their place but I'm coon free now in that spot.

MacFromOK

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
There are rendering companies that should have contact with them to come pick up the dead ones.
Back in the '90s, I had a cow paralyzed in her hindquarters (after calving IIRC?), so I borrowed a set of hip hangers from a neighbor and we hung her standing up in a chute, hoping she would recover.

She never did recover, but she began losing weight really fast in spite of plenty of feed & water. I called a rendering company in Gainesville, TX just to check my options in case she died.

I was informed they would NOT pick her up if she died, but they would come to Oklahoma (Marshall county) and get her while she was alive. She kept losing ground, so I called and told them to come get her.

The guy shot her with a .22, and then winched her into a truck. Apparently they had to verify time of death or they wouldn't touch 'em. Not sure if that's just a Texas thing, but they were the only ones I knew to call at the time.

So I dunno if they can get a dead carcass picked up or not. :anyone:

EDIT: I said '90s, but it may have been '80s. Lol, yeah, I know... memory is the first thing to go. :D

Last edited:

Okie4570

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Special Hen Moderator Moderator
Reaction score
I can remember early to mid 90's the carcass truck was around all the time it seemed like, especially during the winter when the wheat pasture calves spread across the country by the thousands. Now every landowner just has has a dead pile somewhere. No more hauling them out to the corner for the carcass truck to pick up.

dlbleak

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Supporting Member
Special Hen Administrator Moderator Supporter
Reaction score
I had a decent year for fawns(about all I’m seeing!) and very few coyotes compared to years past. Maybe a dozen or so pics up til now. Standing rule on my lease is if you see one shoot it. We usually have about 6 down by now but none this year? I hear them in every direction while I’m hunting though. Been a weird year for us. I don’t even have a deer yet. Might be the first time in ten years for that.

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I can remember early to mid 90's the carcass truck was around all the time it seemed like, especially during the winter when the wheat pasture calves spread across the country by the thousands. Now every landowner just has has a dead pile somewhere. No more hauling them out to the corner for the carcass truck to pick up.

It was in the 80’s and 90’s when we would call the truck to pick up dead cows. Came out of Wichita Ks.
Neighbor had 14 angus walk out on a frozen pond, break through and all drowned. Quite the job fetching them all out of there.
Like everyone else don’t see them anymore.
When I get a deer I’ll ask my buddy that runs the packing house. He probably knows.

Oklahomabassin

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I believe they used to come pick up dead cattle from ranchers for free if they were pulled up close to the main road. Now they charge to come pick up from ranchers.

My opinions: I think they had to start doing that to maintain profitability due to market demands etc. Mad Cow disease and changes in regulation reduced the demand for products rendering plants produced. Therefore rendering plants can be more selective of where they service. Processing plants obviously have a lot of waste on a regular schedule and easy for "milk run" style pick up.

Valley Proteins has rendering plants in Oklahoma City and Calumet Oklahoma. I know they serve my area, but I don't know how far they travel for routine pick ups.

Latest posts

Top Bottom