Predator Hunting 2017

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

7stw

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
To ask a VERY lame question, I am sure (bear in mind I haven't been hunting in 25+ years so I'm just getting back into understanding huntable targets in the region) --- what exactly do you do with the coyote after you shoot them? They can't possibly be good eating. The pelts MIGHT be reasonably usable. A skull might be kind of cool for a man cave with other predator skulls like a bobcat, mountain lion or bear, but otherwise, is there any usefulness in them besides that?

Pelts are worth a little no much though. Personally there's two hunt-able animals I'll never eat one being a coyote and the other a wolf.

With that said animals I do enjoy as table fare benefit from the management of predators. Deer turkey quail antelope elk squirrel rabbit even song birds survive as a result. Not to mention my livelihood as a cow calf rancher. Coyotes will and do kill calves. That greatly affects my bottom line. Loose one calf to coyotes and the already razor thin profit margins get thinner. They also kill cats dogs chickens. I get it it's part of nature but they are so damn adaptable it's frightening. In the 30's when they tried to poison and trap them to eradicate them in Oklahoma Kansas and Nebraska they couldn't succeed. We have lots of them around here. I'll kill/trap 40-50 a year at a minimum of two square miles. There also is a bounty on them in Utah of 50 dollars a dog from the state because they where decimating the mule deer fawns. I enjoy hunting other species so I feel it's partially my responsibility to aide in the management of the predator population to ensure I'll have game to hunt and eat.

Bob Cat mountain lion and bear (especially spring bear) is delicious. I enjoy eating those but I've skinned enough coyotes to know how nasty they are. My friend in Idaho kills a couple of wolfs every year (since they opened season) and he claims they are the nastiest creatures he ever been around. Worse than a wolverine which are infested with fleas even the winter.

Sent from NSA wire tapped device.

SnowCamo

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
To ask a VERY lame question, I am sure (bear in mind I haven't been hunting in 25+ years so I'm just getting back into understanding huntable targets in the region) --- what exactly do you do with the coyote after you shoot them? They can't possibly be good eating. The pelts MIGHT be reasonably usable. A skull might be kind of cool for a man cave with other predator skulls like a bobcat, mountain lion or bear, but otherwise, is there any usefulness in them besides that?

I leave mine where they fall. I too shoot them to save calves, chickens, turkeys, and to make sure my scope is still on. There's no benefit of coyotes. Unless they aquire a taste for hogs. In that case....I'd still shoot them.

7stw

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Bobcat and mountain lion? Really?

Yeah. Bob cat steaks are really good. Mountain lion the three times I've had it where delicious. Twice I had steaks and the other was ground that my friends wife used in spaghetti. I've never messes with grinding a bob cat but the back straps while small are really good. Some guys even save the hams.

okieshooter777

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
i've heard as well that mountain lion is delicious. I have never tried it, but if they are good then i would imagine a bobcat is as well.
I think i'd try it!
Not sure i'd eat a crow unless i was starving!

ahlosojoe

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I am game to try to eat almost anything. I read how the old mountain men thought mountain lion was so good so the next bobcat that I caught I decided to eat it. I tried it several different ways but could not get away from the musky cat smell. No matter what I tried it was still a cat.

7stw

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Entered in the cast and bang calling contest this weekend. Saturday looks to be a nice day for calling. Saved some of my best spots for this hunt. Hope they move and respond to calls. If your entered I'll see you Friday eve. At Cabelas for the rules/meeting. If you haven't entered and would like to there's still time. Online registration closes tonight but you can enter in person on Friday at Cabelas from 6-8. Good luck and be safe.

Latest posts

Top Bottom