Predator problems

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Fallbackpuppet

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
We live a ways out. The nearest town in Lexington and it is over 20 minutes away by car. We know there are predators so we have build strong enclosures and shelters for our animals. The other night, we got busy and didn't lock the ducks and Turkeys up until about an hour and a half after dark. 4 injured (2 needed to be put down), 1 dead, and 2 missing. Tracks and nature of attack said gave me an idea. So cameras went up. First night starting 1830 my suspicions were confirmed. I have until the 28th to get it in season and I have the forms for a depredation permit as well. While we have taken extra care to get the birds locked up before dark. The beastie still needs to die and the wife wants a pelt. I have hunted deer, hogs, squirrel, rabbit, various birds, and other things. I have never hunted predators of any kind. Reading it seems the best bet would be a trap then shoot it once it is caught, but tips, tricks, or suggestions are very welcome. Note it has been back every night except the night we had heavy rain since at least the 12th (date of the event) sometimes wondering the enclosure from 1900ish to 0200ish.

Oklahomabassin

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
FB_IMG_1676667531359.jpg

swampratt

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
The way I read the OK law was you can kill it anytime it is endangering you or your animals.

Bobcat is good eating for sure.
You can't remove that hide from the property though if you kill it out of season for harassing.

I like to place bait on the ground and place 3 foot hold traps around the bait where no matter which way you come in you get CLINKED and then the critter jumps around and another CLINK and many times another.

I have caught a lot of unwanted things that way.

Of course the foot holds are countersunk and leaf or grass is spread over the area to make it look normal.
Atwoods sells traps.
Stake them good or cable tie them to a tree or spare tire because in sandy soil your unwanted critter and trap will be gone.

I have had cats with big bodies and big tails hold up the live trap door so make sure to get a big enough one if you get a boxed type trap.

An easy way to kill a critter in a boxed trap is to put the trap and its contents into a large lawn and leaf bag and hook that to the exhaust of the vehicle and the animal will go nighty night.

Of course drowning or shooting works also.

Fallbackpuppet

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
The way I read the OK law was you can kill it anytime it is endangering you or your animals.

Bobcat is good eating for sure.
You can't remove that hide from the property though if you kill it out of season for harassing.

I like to place bait on the ground and place 3 foot hold traps around the bait where no matter which way you come in you get CLINKED and then the critter jumps around and another CLINK and many times another.

I have caught a lot of unwanted things that way.

Of course the foot holds are countersunk and leaf or grass is spread over the area to make it look normal.
Atwoods sells traps.
Stake them good or cable tie them to a tree or spare tire because in sandy soil your unwanted critter and trap will be gone.

I have had cats with big bodies and big tails hold up the live trap door so make sure to get a big enough one if you get a boxed type trap.

An easy way to kill a critter in a boxed trap is to put the trap and its contents into a large lawn and leaf bag and hook that to the exhaust of the vehicle and the animal will go nighty night.

Of course drowning or shooting works also.
I will just pop it in the noggin. I have some acceptable foot hold traps, but we also have domestic animals that might get caught so I am going for 3 Live traps. I ordered these. Do you think they will work?

https://www.tractorsupply.com/tsc/p...nimal-trap-58-in-x-17-in-x-26-in?cm_vc=-10005

Okie4570

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Special Hen Moderator Moderator
Reaction score
I will just pop it in the noggin. I have some acceptable foot hold traps, but we also have domestic animals that might get caught so I am going for 3 Live traps. I ordered these. Do you think they will work?

https://www.tractorsupply.com/tsc/p...nimal-trap-58-in-x-17-in-x-26-in?cm_vc=-10005
Those will work, height is the go/no go factor for cats, 17" is tall enough. Wire one of your carcasses to the inside at the back, cover the wire mesh floor with dirt except for the pan, leave a heavy feather trail leading out of the cage. Put the cage exactly where he is in those pics. It's there to eat the fowl, has a taste for fowl, so don't bait it with anything else but fowl.

Oklahomabassin

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Very cool... Have one bait suggestion do you have any?
Collect some feathers to put some in front of trap and inside. If you have a chicken carcass to wire or tie in the back of trap that will work great. I like to use a piece of rebar to poke through top of trap, through carcass and down through bottom of trap into the ground. This holds the bait in and keeps an animal from knocking the trap over if it is trying to get to bait without going inside.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Top Bottom