Predator problems

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ready_fire_aim

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Collect some feathers to put some in front of trap and inside. If you have a chicken carcass to wire or tie in the back of trap that will work great. I like to use a piece of rebar to poke through top of trap, through carcass and down through bottom of trap into the ground. This holds the bait in and keeps an animal from knocking the trap over if it is trying to get to bait without going inside.
Wow that rebar trick is a great idea! I’m gonna try that one.

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Wow that rebar trick is a great idea! I’m gonna try that one.
Works the same when using cat food in the little tins to trap coons. They will stick a paw in the side and work the tin to the side and eat it without going into the trap. The rebar or 3/8" steel rod that I use will keep the pan in the middle of the trap forcing the critter to go to the entrance and come in.

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Best cat traps I've seen are the live traps with a separate cage in the back to put some live quail or live chickens in. Cover the floor in dirt or grass so the cat can't feel the wire. I also use the little battery powered speakers that mimic bird calls to attract the cats.

Fallbackpuppet

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Collect some feathers to put some in front of trap and inside. If you have a chicken carcass to wire or tie in the back of trap that will work great. I like to use a piece of rebar to poke through top of trap, through carcass and down through bottom of trap into the ground. This holds the bait in and keeps an animal from knocking the trap over if it is trying to get to bait without going inside.
That is a good idea. I have been watching videos and many suggest sinking a t post and wiring the trap to that nut I like your idea better.
Just out of curiosity what size trap is that?

Fallbackpuppet

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
That is an awesome idea. I have been watching some videos as I wait for my traps and several suggest sinking a T Post and wiring it to the trap, but I think I like your idea better.

Fallbackpuppet

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Best cat traps I've seen are the live traps with a separate cage in the back to put some live quail or live chickens in. Cover the floor in dirt or grass so the cat can't feel the wire. I also use the little battery powered speakers that mimic bird calls to attract the cats.
Any recommendation on brand or model as I haven't seen any like that.

cowadle

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
i always had pretty good luck with some shinny metallic ribbon tied to a stick or weed about 20 inches off the ground and several leg hold traps surrounding the ribbon set. usually somewhere just outside of the cover around the chicken house.

Fallbackpuppet

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
i always had pretty good luck with some shinny metallic ribbon tied to a stick or weed about 20 inches off the ground and several leg hold traps surrounding the ribbon set. usually somewhere just outside of the cover around the chicken house.
Can't use leg hold traps due to domesticated animals we don't want to catch also being in the area as they may be injured. If I catch my daughters cat or one of the dogs in a live trap just need to let them go. so that is the option for now.

Latest posts

Top Bottom