Predict the trend

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Wesley C

Marksman
Special Hen
Reaction score
Heads up, this is a long one...
so I picked up the Betsy Ross addition stripped upper/lower last July. I’m a believer in the belief that firearms are tools and a multi tool, in firearms, does nothing well. With the new hotness caliber always being a gamble, I’m still on the fence about what to build.
Let me stet the stage on what I want to achieve,
I’m proficient with the manual of arms of the Ar platform but don’t like the velocity dependent round. I love my AK’s but since, he who shall not be named, put a ban on my beloved 5.45 ammo, I’ve learned to not be reliant on foreign ammunition.
So, there are a few rounds on the table for the AR platform. 6.5 Grendel is in the lead because of longer range ballistics(>400 yards) and available wolf ammo. There is a descent following for the 6.5 Timberwolf that is using NATO brass and doesn’t require a thinner walled bolt. And then there is the 224 Valkyrie that is showing promise. But, will it be affordable to train with?
Conclusion
Do I build the Grendel because of it’s ballistics, cost to train but that thinner bolt makes me worry about reliability. Or, take a gamble on one of the newer offerings hitting the market?
I’ll put a link to the MFR who is developing the wildcat ammo.
https://www.maddogweapons.com/ they had an interview on “we like shooting “ that had me second guessing my build...
Thank you.

beastep

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I would personally lean towards the 6.5 Grendel and thats actually going to be my next build. Followed by a 25-45 Sharps. Just get a good bolt. The good thing is there really isnt a wrong answer since you can change a barrel, and bolt if necessary, in about 30 minutes if you decide to switch. Im really interested in the Valkyrie but Im not going to consider it until brass and dies become more available.
Thanks for that link. Ill have to look them over.

doctorjj

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Wolf ammo for the 6.5 at $5/box is your answer. The 6.5 is a great round. I wouldn’t be concerned about the bolt. Have a spare on hand if you’re really worried.

APH Tactical

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I love the 300blk personally, but it looks like you're into something with long legs. Either way, if you decide on the Grendel and don't like the thinner walls, I'm a dealer for a company that specializes in the cryogenic treatment of steel, which will help prevent deformation. We also deal in DLC coating, which when used in conjunction with Cryo and some polish can also help minimize the pressurized beating the metal takes.

Just putting options out there.

Take care,
Mike

sumoj275

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
What about reloading to keep costs down? I’m a person that doesn’t like cartridges that remove metal from the bolt, so I would be looking at something based on a 5.56mm case.

Wesley C

Marksman
Special Hen
Reaction score
What about reloading to keep costs down? I’m a person that doesn’t like cartridges that remove metal from the bolt, so I would be looking at something based on a 5.56mm case.
Well the 224 is an option in that matter, but the cost of training stacked up. If 224 comes out in cheap wolf priced ammo, I’ll swap.
What good is a tool if you can’t use it professionally? And that is trigger time= cost.

Latest posts

Top Bottom