Preferred elk platform

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I’ve shot 7 mag and now 7wsm for 44 years and it’s never let me down on any hunt including elk. As far as Berger bullets, I shoot those exclusively (180gr VLD). Never had one fail me yet, but it’s like all bullets, placement is key.
Great to know sir, the VLD pretty much dumps everything into the elk right? Would you trust the 175 berger out to 500 as well?

Reaction score
7mm magnum is my "do all" gun for rifle hunting. Federal Premium 150gr boat tail soft point used for many, many elk in CO. No 500 yd shots so unsure how the bullet would perform but 200-300 yds very effective when put in the 10 ring!
I love hearing the 7 mag is more than capable. It's been my favorite rifle to date for sure.

turkeyrun

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Went and looked, I have these

20230213_094557.jpg

The Hornady is full box of 20. Super accurate in my rifle. I was sighted in @ 280 yards. Crosshair on top of back, lined up with leg, put me dead on @ 400 yards.

The Nosler are full boxes, if you can't find bullets or need practice ammo, I can do you a deal.

Jcann

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Great to know sir, the VLD pretty much dumps everything into the elk right? Would you trust the 175 berger out to 500 as well?
I don’t know about dumping everything into the elk. That would depend on shot angle and bones hit. At 500 yards you’re looking at roughly 40” of drop with 2,300fps and 2,150Lbs KE. That’s plenty to get the job done. My furthest elk shot was roughly 340 yards and was a complete pass through. A 500 yard elk shot is not a difficult proposition as long as one can get comfortable and control themselves. A full value 10mph wind is roughly 10”, easy to compensate for with the right reticle. Just hold 2.1 mil elev. 0.5 mil wind and send it.

Reaction score
Went and looked, I have these

View attachment 348622

The Hornady is full box of 20. Super accurate in my rifle. I was sighted in @ 280 yards. Crosshair on top of back, lined up with leg, put me dead on @ 400 yards.

The Nosler are full boxes, if you can't find bullets or need practice ammo, I can do you a deal.
Thank you sir but I actually do have a pretty good stash of those already. I forgot I had them.

Reaction score
I don’t know about dumping everything into the elk. That would depend on shot angle and bones hit. At 500 yards you’re looking at roughly 40” of drop with 2,300fps and 2,150Lbs KE. That’s plenty to get the job done. My furthest elk shot was roughly 340 yards and was a complete pass through. A 500 yard elk shot is not a difficult proposition as long as one can get comfortable and control themselves. A full value 10mph wind is roughly 10”, easy to compensate for with the right reticle. Just hold 2.1 mil elev. 0.5 mil wind and send it.
That is good to know for sure. I have been practicing with my 6.5 CM out to 650 yards recently and once you start practicing those distances, it really isn't too challenging. I have been looking lately for some 168 VLDs with not much luck. These 175 bergers are big dudes!

OK Corgi Rancher

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Your 7mag is perfectly fine for elk. Even at 500 yds. In my opinion you should concern yourself more with honing and relying on your skills than worrying about equipment.

500 yds is a pretty long shot (in my experience hunting in Colorado, anyway) for elk in the mountains. It isn't going to be the same as shooting your rifle out to 650 on a bench.

7mag is also easy to find in most places when a lot of other calibers are not.

Good luck.

Latest posts

Top Bottom