Prepare for higher natural gas prices this winter.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

1shott

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Let me say this.

Yesterday morning I went to shopping. I am single so I what I normally buy I can make several meals out of.

My cart had the following

Body wash
deoderant
laundry soap
dryer sheets
toilet paper
potatos
package of 2 ribeye steaks.
kosher salt
whole pepper corns.

Thats it, guess the total?

ready?

$97, yes $97 I looked at the screen for a moment, looked at my cart, started to laugh out loud and said WTF is this **** as I paid.

Now I need to figure out what I am going to make for the rest of the week, the steak was great, will have the other one today.

BReeves

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
The up coming BIG picture is not pretty. We are overdue for a depression. All the ingredients for the recipe are gathered and ready. We run on propane here and the tank is near full, last purchase was $2.09 a gallon. I called recently about having it topped off but we're not down far enough that they will do so.
The company we use won't deliver less than 150 gallons. Just had ours filled at $2.00, saving up bucks for the winter, going to be costly.

Timmy59

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Let me say this.

Yesterday morning I went to shopping. I am single so I what I normally buy I can make several meals out of.

Body wash
deoderant
laundry soap
dryer sheets
toilet paper
potatos
kosher salt
whole pepper corns.

ready?

$97, yes $97 I looked at the screen for a moment, looked at my cart, started to laugh out loud and said WTF is this **** as I paid.

Now I need to figure out what I am going to make for the rest of the week, the steak was great, will have the other one today.
LOL, stinky is the new craze today, spend less on anti stink and more on food. I made dinner the other night and just to make it easy on myself I ran thru popeyes for cole slaw, I ordered the lg which was smaller than a pint and it was $4.79 and the gal at window agreed it was hwy robbery.

1shott

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
LOL, stinky is the new craze today, spend less on anti stink and more on food. I made dinner the other night and just to make it easy on myself I ran thru popeyes for cole slaw, I ordered the lg which was smaller than a pint and it was $4.79 and the gal at window agreed it was hwy robbery.

Nope I will not smell bad, I may look ugly as all get out but I will be damned if I smell ugly.

joegrizzy

Sharpshooter
Special Hen Banned
Reaction score
Let me say this.

Body wash
deoderant
laundry soap
dryer sheets
toilet paper
potatos
kosher salt
whole pepper corns.

ready?

yeah those ribeyes were probably 1/3-1/2 of your total cost. without knowing quantities of things you bought.

i know the pieces of meat i'm pulling out of the freezer from last season are basically *half* the price of the pieces that are replacing them. that across the board is going to lead to a lot of sticker shock. or societal breakdown. ya know, either one.

joegrizzy

Sharpshooter
Special Hen Banned
Reaction score
yeah while i love hermans coleslaw made with oil and vinegar instead of mayo, paying restaurant prices for coleslaw is one thing i will NOT do. a 3lb bag of shredded cabbage is like .99c. mayo and/or vinegar is pennies on the dollar for the amount you need. if i don't have to shred the cabbage, just mix it, i'm gonna do it. heck, most coleslaw bags come with the mayo sauce stuff in a sep bag you still have to mix anyway.

rice and beans still cheap. pork was significantly cheaper than beef, but i hear that's about to even off a bit. super cao nguyen has great prices when their dry goods like flat noodles and stuff are on sale. just $20 can get you an entire cupboard full of flat noodles of various thickness and widths. great for easy pasta dishes or stir fries.
and their canned meats are waaaaay cheaper and better than the us versions.
inb4 mercury yada yada, don't get me wrong, i get high quality canned salmon and other fish.
but for canned crab, the stuff they have at super cao nguyen is half the price of the stuff in normie grocers.
and it's real crab and it's delicious. they have some with spices too, all sorts of flavors that us markets won't sell.
20lb bags of rice make weekly meals nice and cheap. i love winter time because i can't eat as many beans in the summer, lol.
thaw $15 pork butt on weekend, pressure cook 3-4 lbs at a time, one with cumin, chili powder, mexican spices; one char siu to marinade
shred and skillet carnitas with the mexican pieces
any remaining carnitas are bagged up for leftovers (lunch).
next day cook the char siu pieces after overnight marinade. prepare rice and serve pork over it.
any remaining pork bagged up for leftovers (lunch). remaining rice is fridged for fried rice.
refrigerated rice makes best fried rice, so next day you take out your rice and fry it up, with whatever remaining pork pieces you have.
if pork was all eaten, throw in a can of $3 crab and frozen vegg.
any leftovers (i usually cook 4 cups of rice initially, with two adults i will still have leftovers after first meal and fried rice meal, now on third meal with same rice) are combined for lunch.
get next cut of meat out for thawing
repeat with other recipes if using something like a loin instead of butt, etc.

you can still feed yourself and an other or two for $100-$200 a month. buying steak will ruin this budget tho unless you got the cow in the backyard.

i miss steak :( did have a nice veal ribeye from benevenuti's in norman not too long ago. hooooooly crap it was good. very reasonably priced for how big it was, i honestly doubt the restaurant got the steak much cheaper than they were serving it for.

Last edited:

1shott

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
yeah those ribeyes were probably 1/3-1/2 of your total cost. without knowing quantities of things you bought.

i know the pieces of meat i'm pulling out of the freezer from last season are basically *half* the price of the pieces that are replacing them. that across the board is going to lead to a lot of sticker shock. or societal breakdown. ya know, either one.

$25 for the two steaks.

Ya the food part of the total was low but the over all is nuts. I hear comments about it daily at work. A co worker says her weekly shopping bill has increased $200, thats a sizable increase for the same items from trips past.

SlugSlinger

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Here's some news on inflation! And we haven't seen nothin yet!

Oh, and natural gas went over $5 per MMBTU yesterday. It hasn't been that high in years.

Producer inflation accelerated in August, as wholesale prices rose record 8.3% from a year ago​

• The producer price index increased 0.7% in August from a month ago, above the 0.6% Dow Jones estimate.
  • Final demand prices rose 8.3% from a year ago, the biggest increase on record going back to 2010.
  • The move showed that inflationary pressures are likely to persist.

Prices that producers get for final demand goods and services surged in August at their highest annual rate since at least 2010, the Labor Department reported Friday.

The producer price index rose 0.7% for the month, above the 0.6% Dow Jones estimate, though below the 1% increase in July.

On a year-over-year basis, the gauge rose 8.3%, which is the biggest annual increase since records have been kept going back to November 2010. That came following a 7.8% move higher in July, which also set a record.

The data comes amid heightened inflation fears fed by supply chain issues, a shortage of various consumer and producer goods and heightened demand related to the Covid-19 pandemic. Federal Reserve officials expect inflationary pressures to ease through the year, but they have remained stubbornly persistent, with Friday’s numbers indicating that the trend likely will continue.

Excluding food, energy and trade services, final demand prices increased 0.3% for the month, below the 0.5% Dow Jones estimate. Still, that left core PPI up 6.3% from a year ago, also the largest record increase for data going back to August 2014.

Final demand services rose 0.7% for the month, thanks to a 1.5% gain in trade services, or the margins received by wholesalers and retailers. Transportation and warehousing costs surged 2.8%.

About one-third of the overall gain came from health, beauty and optical goods, which jumped 7.8%. Prices related to outpatient hospital care held back the gains, falling 1.5%.

Prices for final demand goods rose 1% for the month, pushed primarily by a 2.9% gain in foods which in turn came from an 8.5% surge in meat prices. Slaughtered poultry prices surged 11%. Prices fell for iron, steel and diesel fuel.

Latest posts

Top Bottom