Prepare for higher natural gas prices this winter.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SlugSlinger

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Crazy energy prices are now in the news. Didn't take long. Hope that 5.9% SS increase helps cover the 54% increase in energy.

Home Heating Bills Expected to Soar This Winter​

(AP)
Wednesday, 13 October 2021 12:05 PM

U.S. consumers will spend more to heat their homes this winter than last year due to surging energy prices, the U.S. Energy Information Administration (EIA) projected in its winter outlook on Wednesday.
Energy prices have risen sharply worldwide, causing power crunches in large economies like China and India. The United States has, so far, not seen that same effect, even though the prices of fuels ranging from natural gas to heating oil and propane have risen notably and will hit household finances as the weather turns colder.

Propane Oil to Rise the Most: 54%
"The main reason wholesale prices of natural gas, crude oil, and petroleum products have risen is that fuel demand has increased from recent lows faster than supply, in part, because of economic recovery after the first year of the COVID-19 pandemic," the EIA said.

Nearly half of U.S. households rely on natural gas for heat, with the average cost for those homes expected to rise by 30% from the year-earlier period, the statistical arm of the U.S. Department of Energy said.
Average winter costs for homes with natural gas last winter were $572 per household, far cheaper than other major sources of heat.
The most dramatic increases will be seen for households that rely on propane or heating oil, the EIA said, because changes in those prices at the wholesale level pass through much more quickly to consumers. Those costs are expected to rise by 54% and 43%, respectively, the EIA said, from last winter.
As of the 2019-2020 heating season, however, less than 12 million American households relied on those fuels - about 9% of total U.S. households, according to the EIA.
Last year, many energy prices plunged to multi-year lows due to coronavirus demand destruction - particularly natural gas, the most popular heating fuel in the United States, which hit a 25-year-low.
Depending where people live, the EIA said residential costs, which are higher than wholesale prices, will rise to about $11-$14 per thousand cubic feet (mcf) for natural gas, about $2.50-$3.50 per gallon for propane, and almost $3.50 per gallon for heating oil.
That compares with last winter's residential costs of around $10-12 per mcf for natural gas, $1.50-$2.50 per gallon for propane, and $2.50 per gallon for heating oil.
The EIA will provide more details when it releases its Short-Term Energy Outlook later Wednesday.

SlugSlinger

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Nothing is free! You'll pay one way or another.

This report is misleading. They are implying their bills are more than $600. I watched the video. The total owed is over $644, but the current charges are half that, which isn't any better but quit sensationalizing the information! This lady is just not paying her bills.

1634734699939.png

Tulsa Apartment Complex Tenants Concerned Over Skyrocketing Electric Bills​

TULSA, Oklahoma - Tenants at Tulsa apartment complex near 23rd and Garnett said their electric bills keep going up and they're getting so high, they can't afford to pay them.
Pearletha Walton said her bill has doubled since July.

Walton has lived in the apartments for nine years, but said lately, her electric bill has been sky-high.

"I never seen nothing like it being this high like this, nothing like this in all my days," Walton said.

Walton said she typically pays around $100 every month for electricity. She first noticed the prices getting higher in July, and thought it would get better, but now she owes more than $600 to PSO.

"So, I'm thinking go on let it pass on by, not when I started getting them bills, the bills starting hitting me left and right," she said.

PSO said the rates for the complex haven't changed.

Walton said she's called both PSO and her property manager trying to figure out what's going on, but she's not able to get any answers.

"They're telling us to go to the source, how can we go to the source when the source won't even talk to us," she said.

Walton said she needs someone to figure out what's happening so she can pay her bills.

"$120 something, $130 something, I can deal with that, but when it jumped up to $600 I couldn't even sleep, I'm still looking at $644 in my eyes," she said.

News On 6 called the property manager but are still waiting to hear back.

https://www.newson6.com/story/616f4...s-concerned-over-skyrocketing-electric-bills-

Latest posts

Top Bottom