Preparing for active shooter

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Buzzdraw

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Several years back I dropped the S&W J-frame as a primary carry; not enough bullets. Beats nothing through so its kept in reserve. I went from a Glock 26/27 to a 19/23 several years ago as primary carry. I can easily get body hits out to 50+ yards and headbox hits at 20-25 yards with a good 19/23 and quality self defense ammo.

In my book a J-frame is good out to 10 yards for headbox and maybe 20 for body hits. A subcompact such as a Ruger LC9, Kahr or a S&W Shield will stretch both those dimensions out a few more yards. Neither an equal to a 19/23. If you have large hands you may need to tote a full size handgun to get the headbox/body hit capability I mention.

As part of the current upsurge in potential for really bad things happening I've started carrying 1-2 extra mags. Yes I know that means I'm toting some 30-45 rounds of ammo on my belt.

To have a shotgun and/or carbine in the trunk is okay but I recognize that they are useful only in certain circumstances, such as an open ground or a roll up on an occurrence. The handgun is useful in almost all situations.

Don't overlook the need for a flashlight and pepper spray in the tote along kit.

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I have not, but it is something I would like to get in to when time and funds allow after I get my rifle build done.

Handling my emotions/weapon in a high stress environment and achieving the task at hand isn't a big deal, I have a considerable anount of training and practical application due to my time in the marine corps and a combat deployment, however I will admit that my skill level isn't where I want it and I am definitely out of practice.

I'll compete 4 run and guns this year with a 4th coming in Oct, does that count? Haven't been around many other shooting competitions. I got 8th in shooting last time, I'd like to think translates to having and running good gear. I really should run a handgun harder since it's what I'd be using the majority of the time.

How does one get into such activities?

Try looking at web sites for local gun ranges. For instance, USSA often runs competitions and puts them on their calendar. Just show up. Bring friends if possible; it's a helluva lot more fun! Call the range and ask them about the basic "needs" you'll need to bring, or go to the Competition Shooting (I think) section on this site. It will give you an idea of how much ammo/mags you'll need and the basic equipment rules.

USSA shoots in Tulsa on the 2nd Saturday. Oil Capital IDPA shoots on the 2nd Sunday and 4th Saturday. See link for OC http://www.ocrgc.com/?q=node/394 Oil Capital map here http://www.ocrgc.com/?q=node

Oklahoma City Gun club runs USPSA pistol matches on the 1st Saturday of the month, and steel challenge on the 3rd Saturday

Ponca City Runs USPSA on the 2nd Saturday of the month, and Steel Challenge on the 4th Saturday.

H&H runs a USPSA on the 4th Sunday, and I think the Safety first in Edmond runs a USPSA on the 1st Sunday of the month.

Wilsher guns in OKC is doing a two gun and I can't remember the dates.

Jam Master Jay

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
One could argue that if you were capable of leaving an area to go get your gun, you were safe and therefore no longer threatened and wouldn't need to go back to shoot an attacker.

That said, if it were a true active shooter at a workplace or somewhere similar, where you might have an opportunity to save lives and your car was very close by, it might be plausible to attempt to end the threat. I definitely would not arm myself with a rifle in a public setting in an active shooter scenario lest I get confused for the bad guy.

Foghorn

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Ive been considering mounting a rifle rack behind the backseat in my truck just so i can have a bigger friend nearby.

Also I'd love to see some week day matches in the future. I work every weekend and cant make the matches but would love ro get involved.

Nothing screams poor craftsmanship like wrinkles in your duct tape

Fredkrueger100

Dream Master
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I carry a glock 26 with 2 spare mags in a mag pouch. That gives me over 30 rounds. Or more if I load up my 17 rounders. When I go to the movies I usually have a bright flashlight. But other than that I just carry a knife. No med kit or anything else. I would like to stock my vehicles with rifles and other supplies but funds are tight.

tRidiot

Perpetually dissatisfied
Special Hen
Reaction score
I have thought alot about the rifle in the truck idea... I have a Tahoe, so there's no lockable storage for something like this. Considered putting a basic rifle in a lockable quick-access steel box mounted to the roof. As has been said many times, it's a rare chance you'll need a gun (much less a rifle), but when you do, you need it VERY badly.

Due to size restrictions, I've considered an SBR for this purpose, though I'm not sure if NFA rules evaluation would consider a heavy-duty locked truck-mounted cage/storage box would meet muster for an NFA item being sufficiently secure. An 8.5" or 10.5" .300AAC AR would be a very nice rifle for a situation like an active shooter or rolling up on a scenario in-progress, I think. After doing a lot of reading on the ballistics and capability of the Blackout round, I can't fathom why more LEOs aren't switching over to this over a 5.56. Little to no need for reaching out 500 yards for the average LEO, but the additional stopping power it would seem to have (to me) in the 50-to-100 yard range seems ideal.

Just picked up a G27 to complement my G22. Those full-size mags as backup make it a nice setup. G22 in the doorpocket of the truck, G27 on the hip with 1-2 full-size mags on the belt. Theoretically. lol. I don't carry on my person nearly as much as I should...

Fyrtwuck

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Preparing for the Active Shooter.

Here is my plan.

Be prepared to take care of yourself and those with you.
Take cover.
Quickly assess the situation.
Escape to a safe place.
Call 911 and give the best information you can.
Do NOT go back into the area.

If responding cops see you at a scene of a reported active shooter with a gun, and you there with a gun, several things are going to happen.
You could be perceived as the suspect and treated as such.
You could be shot.
You could be cuffed and taken into custody till things are sorted out. This would also remove 1-2 officers from doing what they should be doing which is ending the incident.
Someone else with a gun could see you with your gun and think you are the threat and shoot you.
You could contaminate the scene.

tRidiot

Perpetually dissatisfied
Special Hen
Reaction score
Preparing for the Active Shooter.

Here is my plan.

Be prepared to take care of yourself and those with you.
Take cover.
Quickly assess the situation.
Escape to a safe place.
Call 911 and give the best information you can.
Do NOT go back into the area.

If responding cops see you at a scene of a reported active shooter with a gun, and you there with a gun, several things are going to happen.
You could be perceived as the suspect and treated as such.
You could be shot.
You could be cuffed and taken into custody till things are sorted out. This would also remove 1-2 officers from doing what they should be doing which is ending the incident.
Someone else with a gun could see you with your gun and think you are the threat and shoot you.
You could contaminate the scene.

Let the active shooter kill as many people as he can until Law Enforcement arrives, secures the scene, calls for backup, sets up a command post, calls in brass, calls in SWAT/HRT, convenes a committee to determine the best course of action, consults legal for possible ramifications, attempts to get approval from non-LEO elected officials and then, if there are any survivors, decides if their lives are worth going in for.

Fyrtwuck

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Let the active shooter kill as many people as he can until Law Enforcement arrives, secures the scene, calls for backup, sets up a command post, calls in brass, calls in SWAT/HRT, convenes a committee to determine the best course of action, consults legal for possible ramifications, attempts to get approval from non-LEO elected officials and then, if there are any survivors, decides if their lives are worth going in for.

I know what you're saying, but the fact is, I'm no longer an officer nor have the authority to act as an officer (much less the physical ability) to confront a suspect in that kind of situation. I used to be paid by the PD and the FD for the cities I worked for to put my life on the line. I'm now retired and the legal ramifications you mentioned by themselves weigh heavily on my mind. I've been involved in one shooting and the during and after were not pleasant at all. I have no fantasies of rushing in to save the day and being on the news. My best course of action is to get out alive, get out of the way and don't create more problems.

Latest posts

Top Bottom